Are there any third party workflow design tools?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 9, 2015

Designing a workflow in JIRA can be difficult. A workflow creation tool would be nice.

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2015

Not really.  I've used the text one for <mumble> years (JIRA 2), and I'm happy with it, but that's just because I'm so familiar with it. 

I'd agree that a visual approach is far better, and the diagram designer does quite a good job for most people I work with - an obvious question becomes "what would you improve about the workflow designer"?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2015

What would I improve? 1) Performance - it moves like a narcoleptic snail going uphill through molasses. 2) Allow full screen editing. 3) Offer export and import between June ra and Visio

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 11, 2015

Apparently my phone thinks Jira is June Ra

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2015

Mine translated it to a bad word until I worked out how to hack the dictionary. My fault, I really shouldn't swear so much in my text messages! ;-) 1. I don't have an issue with the performance of it on the systems I'm using. It's a little slow to open sometimes, but that's about it 2. There's a full-screen button at the top right of the window 3. Would not be useful - Visio can't handle anything other than the flow-chart view, it's no better than a screenshot. Export I can see for documentation, but importing from Visio is useless, it's far faster to do it directly in JIRA On the points on the other answer - I quite like the "pop new window" for transitions. It means I can keep my workflow open and open up many things if I need to change them. - You can share transitions to save having to create them over and over, but you have to do it in the designer - I'd like to see a "copy transition" as well

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 11, 2015

I tried opening the GUI designer in Firefox - it uses Flash??

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 11, 2015

As for full screen, maybe in later versions, but not 6.0.8

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 11, 2015

Ah, you need an upgrade to get the full screen, ok. It was quite recent.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 11, 2015

Thanks for all your help! Yeah, unfortunately upgrades are not the easiest things to do.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 22, 2015

Well, the upgrade itself is easy. Prepping for it is more difficult.

0 votes
Sam Huawey December 9, 2015

Sorry for the question, but why do you think that workflow editing in JIRA is difficult?

I use built-in table-based editor (not the graphics-based) and think that it is pretty easy.

However, if you still need another creation tool, you can export a standard workflow into xml and edit it in say notepad or any other text editor.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 11, 2015

Difficult is probably the wrong word. Frustrating is better. Like many other admin functions in Jira, every action loads a new screen.I would love to use the graphic editor but there is almost no working room, and it just seems slow, and unresponsive. I'd need to zoom out to a point where I can't see anything because only half (or less) of my vertical space is available. So I work with text, but that has its own issues, not to mention how every time I create a new transition it gets its own ID. If I want to use "Send to QC" 3 times with customizations (screen, validators, etc) I have to repeat the customizations each time, rather than being able to reuse the same transition. I say this because the built in workflows use the same "Resolve" transition ID several times. One customization fixes it in all places.

Suggest an answer