Are queues available in Jira Core?

Joshua Rivers July 9, 2018

I'm working on setting up a project and workflow using jira core and I'd like to be able to have a "bucket" of issues that users can grab from and assign to themselves. So basically a work queue. But all I've found related to this seems to be related to service desk projects. I think this queue feature is the only thing that we would need from the service desk suite, so I don't think I'd be able to justify the additional licensing cost. I just wanted to check and see if queues exist at all in jira core before I work out some sort of workflow to emulate this behavior.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2018

@Joshua Rivers  Queues are specific to Jira Service Desk, however, what we do is just set up a status that everything starts out in.  It can be named, generically, like Open, To Do, To Be Assigned, etc, I am sure you can be more creative than I, on that.  Make that the first status in the work flow.  Make sure the entire team has the proper roles and permission in the permission scheme Browse Projects and permissions under Issue permissions like Assign issues, Close issues, Edit issues Resolve issue, Transition issues, etc, to be able to work the issues.

You can create filters that would show the items in that first status that haven't been assigned and people can pick from those results for what to work on, or what should be assigned to someone. Like this

project = SomeProjectName AND status = Open AND resolution = Unresolved AND assignee in (EMPTY) ORDER BY priority DESC, updated DESC

Save, Share and favorite the filter or set it as a quick filter on the board.

Joshua Rivers July 10, 2018

Thanks, this is the approach that I'll most likely use.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2018

Your research has been thorough and you've got the right idea.

Jira Core does not really have queues.  You can do things with sorted lists, but it's a long way off the queues you get from Service Desk.

Before getting stuck into the workflows though, have a look in the marketplace - there may be things that can help you (I mean cheaper options than Service Desk, possibly even free)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events