Anyone with successful Clearquest to jira data migration ?

mnpiad October 24, 2016

Hello,

Did anyone was able to successfully migrate data from clearquest to JIRA ? are there any tools/addon available ? JIRA cookbook refers to third party  or csv importer but  i believe csv importer wont bring the attachments ? is there an easy way to import  field values along with attachments ? can someone with good insight share on how to go about the migration ?

-Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
mnpiad October 24, 2016

How did you import attachments?

saravanan subramanian October 24, 2016

clearquest - while exports it exports the attachments with CQ ID. while importing the clearquest data into JIRA create a seperate field to store the CQ ID and then add the attachments using that CQ ID field

mnpiad October 25, 2016

can u elobarate in detail about import ? how do you attach the attachment using CQ filed ? will it import attachments to attachment field in JIRA one to one mapping ? how about if CQ id has more than one attachment will it import that too ?

mnpiad October 25, 2016

Also when i did CQ export via CQ eclipse client the attachments were created separate folder and when i open the csv file the attachment field is empty so how do the importer work ? the document mentions that in the attachments field specify the URL of your attachment in an 'Attachments' column within your CSV file how do you do that ?

Satish Chodipalli January 24, 2018

Hello Mehul,

I am trying to migrate the ClearQuest to JIRA, Can you please tell me the process to migrate successfully.

If possible can you provide me the links to do this task.

Thanks

0 votes
saravanan subramanian October 24, 2016

I was able to migrate data using external perl script using clearquest api, JIRA Rest Client. I dont know that there are plugins available for that.

Otherwise you can export the data out from clearquest as a .csv file and import it into JIRA after a proper mapping

mnpiad October 24, 2016

so i believe  export  in CQ is via Cq eclipse client ? can u elobarate in detail about import ? how do you attach the attachment using CQ filed ? will it import attachments to attachment field in JIRA one to one mapping ? how about if CQ id has more than one attachment will it import that too ?

saravanan subramanian October 25, 2016

when you export from clear quest, it creates a folder with the CQ ID right which contains all the attachments.

When you import that data in JIRA , create a custom field called ClearQuest ID and map it to the clearquest id.

Once the import is complete in Jira, you can use that QID and find the corresponding folder and add all the files as an attachment to JIRA

mnpiad October 25, 2016

So the attachment has to be done manually ? i have more than 6k tickets

no you can script it using JIRA REST Client

mnpiad October 25, 2016

you mean from REST api browser ? do you have sample script that you can share so i have an idea ? which api will PUT the attachments in the isues ?

mnpiad October 25, 2016

when doing the export i see the attachment file also gets created. i will check if i can merge the export file(attachment field empty) and attachment export file(which has attachment location) and use the csv importer

here you a sample - after i create the new issue in JIRA

I convert all the attachments path into a file once i create issue in jira, i use the code below to attach them. It worked.

f($atcount>0) {

my $input_file= "C:\\att\\att.txt";
			  print " The input file is - $input_file";
			  open (FILE1,"$input_file") || die "Can't open $input_file: $!\n";
            while (<FILE1>) {
	  			print " The line is - $_";
				chomp $_;
	  			$jira->attach_files_to_issue($newissue,"$_");

}
		     close FILE1;

}
	  my $delcmd ="del c:\\att\\*.* /Q";
mnpiad October 26, 2016

ok so you are usingJIRA::Client perl module ?

#!/usr/local/bin/perl

use strict;

use warnings;

use JIRA::Client;

use Data::Dumper;

my $jira = JIRA::Client->new("https://******.com/", "user", "password");

mnpiad October 26, 2016

so which perl module you are using there are quite few available i see one JIRA::REST and  JIRA::Client::Automated module too can u share the first 5/6 line of your script

saravanan subramanian October 26, 2016

here you go

use strict;
use Win32::OLE;
use Win32::OLE qw(in with);
use Win32::OLE::Const 'Microsoft Outlook';
use Win32::OLE::Variant;
use Getopt::Long;
use SOAP::Lite;
use Data::Dumper;
use JIRA::Client;
use Time::localtime;

some may not be needed

Like saravana athilingam likes this
mnpiad October 26, 2016

Looks like jira::client module is deprecated and no longer supported for JIRA latest version😩

saravanan subramanian October 26, 2016

is it ?  I am still running it we are with 6.3.15. .. try to change it to JIRA REST then it should have the same methods 

mnpiad October 26, 2016

I will have to go thru rest api and see how to install and than what methods are available i see 2 apis  jira::rest and jira::client::automated.

I see in your script u create new issue and attach all files which r in path folder

do you have the script which you used for importing attachments with cqdbid? 

mnpiad October 27, 2016

I will try out with CSV importer first

mnpiad October 27, 2016

it worked with csv importer. But needs to do some manual stuff

1. it does not attach files which has spaces so need to remove the spaces from file name
  2. it does not attach files to issues if the issues has more than 1 file for attachment. need to put each attachment path in different column in csv file

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira061/jira-administrators-faq/usage-faq/how-to-import-attachment-using-csv

later on will check on with REST api

Suggest an answer