Am I the only person that thinks the recent JMWE change is sharp practise?

Steve O'Hara September 18, 2016

I'm just imagining what our SaaS customers would say if we took away a required feature from SMARTset that they have been using since they got the product and said you can have it back, but you've now got to pay for it.

One could be forgiven for thinking that this, along with some of the other changes to the Cloud products (retirement of Bamboo for instance) are a direct result of having to "harvest shareholder value" now that Atlassian is a public company.

I have to say, it has really taken the shine off what I thought was a rather lovely company and product, built by developers for developers.

2 answers

3 votes
crf
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 19, 2016

Disclaimer: I am not a product manager, so it honestly isn't really my place to do public commentary on things like this.  That said, I can state one thing unequivocally:

The decision to replace JMWE with an internally developed replacement is not directly related to any kind of "shareholder value" concerns.  It is purely an architectural decision based around the fact that the presence of third-party P2 plugins is interfering with our ability to make improvements to the Cloud platform.  This isn't about an opportunity to rake our customers over the monetary coals; it's about third-party P2 plugins, in general, being in the way.

crf
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 20, 2016

(Another point worth mentioning is that public filings show the co-CEOs to control nearly 2/3 of the stock.  I expect that they are still very much their own masters and that any concerns regarding external shareholder influence over the company's direction probably aren't warranted. wink)

0 votes
Steve O'Hara September 19, 2016

Hi Chris,  what you say makes total sense, life in the software game is a continual re-factor.

What doesn't make sense is why we should pay for an add-in that was previously free and formed a standard part of the product.

crf
Atlassian Team
September 20, 2016

I would (personally) agree with you, but that's part of why I give the "I am not a product manager" disclaimer.  There were definitely technical reasons driving the decision to replace JMWE in Cloud. I can't speak to any decisions around making that replacement a paid enhancement, as I wasn't even aware of them.

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2016

JMWE has been non-free in Server for a few years now. It makes sense to me that it has become a paid Connect add-on now.

Mind you, I do think that add-ons that are used by everyone (JSU, JMWE, Toolkit, etc) should be acquired and bundled with JIRA. Workflows without them are not configurable enough

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events