Allow the transition of an issue through Jira Automation

Dionei Piazza January 20, 2021

Hi Jira community!

Conditions under which an issue (story or task) can be transitioned to Delivered status:

1. The "Documentation" AND the "Fixed version" fields are filled.
  2. The "Documentation" field is empty (here I do not need to validate the "Fix version" field).

I want to create an automation with these rules to allow (or not allow) the transition of an issue. How can I do this?

Note: Same workflow, so I cannot do this in the Jira's workflows conditions.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2021

Hi Dionei,

That is controlled with Conditions and/or Validators in the workflow itself, not Automation for Jira. Automation only performs a function based on an action taking place, and cannot prevent an action from taking place. 

If you can't modify the workflow because it is shared with other projects, then you will need to copy the current workflow, make changes to the new inactive workflow, and then attach it to the project. 

Dionei Piazza January 20, 2021

Hi @John Funk ,

Sorry but as far as I know, I cannot have combinations of Conditions or Validators in Jira workflow.

Remember that I can have a story that doesn't need to be intercepted if it has an empty Documentation field. I mean, in this case, it can go to the Delivered status.

However, if a story has the Documentation field filled, it must also have the Fixed Version field filled. Otherwise it cannot enter the status of Provided.

As far as I know (and correct me if I'm wrong), Jira does not allow this combination of Conditions or Validators an the same time.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2021

Absolutely it allows both Validators and Conditions in the same transition in the workflow. I have several.

Dionei Piazza January 21, 2021

Ok @John Funk

So if I understood, can I do this grouped transition condition described below?

(
    (Documentation field = Empty) OR
    (Documentation field IS NOT Empty AND FIX VERSION IS NOT Empty)
)

Could you please send me a print of this implemented in some workflow?

Thank you very much for all your support!

Dionei Piazza January 21, 2021

Hey @John Funk 

With a little bit more persistence and your tip I maked the condition in the workflow and it works good!

Thank you very much for your attention support @John Funk 

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2021

Very good - glad I could help!

Suggest an answer