Agile: Sort by priority, maintaining sub-task grouping with parent

Deleted user December 30, 2016

My team vastly prefers having the agile board sorted by priority, instead of rank. This has not been a concern to date; until we started to venture further into using sub-tasks.

It appears that the only way to ensure sub-tasks will be listed directly under their respective parent items is to use sorting by rank.

Is it possible to keep sorting by rank; but also have sub-tasks grouped with their parents? This is a huge deal breaker for sub-task use; so any workaround would be appreciated.

Note: I'm using the cloud version

2 answers

0 votes
Karl Renner December 31, 2016

I am working on a similar problem trying to use swimlanes grouped by story (to keep subtasks with the parent), and having the swimlanes in priority order.  If you're willing to always have at least 1 sub-task for each parent, my progress may be of use:

1. A filter query that returns only the sub-tasks, will sort the story swimlanes so that the highest priority sub-tasks define the order of the board.
  2. A filter query that also includes the parents, does factor in the priority of the parents, but a high priority sub-task will move a low priority swimlane up the page - no good. 
  3. A filter query that sorts by "issue type" then by priority, works fine provided we only use two issue types - stories and sub-tasks.  Because we have many types of sub-tasks and parents this doesn't work for us.
  4. The solution I am using for now, is to define a separate set of priorities for sub-tasks and parents such that all sub-task priorities are below the parent priorities. This is more confusing for users but should meet our needs until we've seen a payoff from the board.

The payoff is that it will allow us to create a board with only sub-tasks where the swimlane sequence is "expedited tasks/stories/bugs" followed by "stories furthest along the workflow". 

Nic's solution above would also work for our needs (I'd label all stories, tasks and bugs with "1" and all sub-tasks with "2").  But my approach used a different "JIRA Server only" plugin.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 31, 2016

That makes sense, because sub-tasks can have different priorities and you're choosing to order by them.

In the past, I've created a custom field called something like "parent" which is derived from the actual parent, so I could do "order by parent", but that still wouldn't really help you because you need to decide where the priority actually matters.  I suspect you want to sort the list by parent priority, then the subtasks within it.

I think you could create such a field on Cloud using the Script Runner or other scripting add-ons to populate a text field.  The logic to populate it would need to generate a composite sortable string of <parent priority><parent issue key><subtask priority> for the subtasks and <parent priority><parent issue key><dummy that lands before any subtask priority> on the parent issues.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events