After input has been added to the Close tab for an Issue how is the Issue formally resolved?

David DeSantis April 18, 2019

The workflow for the Issue Type is the default workflow in Jira.  I have admin rights for the Project under which the Issue was created.  I was unable to find any information in the Jira Help database for "resolving" and issue after the issue is closed.  I assume that the two "resolve" & "close" are distinct technical terms in [the] Jira workflow/functionality.  How is an issue "Resolved".

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tyler Brown
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2019

Hey Dave,

An issue is resolved by adding something into the Resolution field.

Best practices are to either add a post function on the required workflow transitions, or add a screen where a user can add a resolution on those transitions.

Tyler

Tyler,  The workflow cannot be modified without going through an admin.  Furthermore, the lack of a "Resolution" "Screen" or workflow element does not seem like a reason that an issue cannot be resolved.   On the Open Issues page there is a "Status:" and a "Resolution:" field.  I have added the required notes to close an issue and it is still being reported as "Unresolved".  Is there a different default set of options that should be present for a role that has the privilege to resolve and issue? 

Tyler Brown
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2019

Hey David,

The other way would be to add the Resolution field onto your view/edit screen scheme.

This may also require some support from an admin, but it would allow you to add a Resolution on the main issue view rather then having to transition the issue.

Tyler

Thank you.  I will investigate adding a field.  More importantly, is there a path to resolution by transitioning an issue?   How is an issue transitioned?

Tyler Brown
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 18, 2019

An issue is transitioned by using one of the transition buttons at the top of the screen.  They are the grey buttons that normally denote a different status in the workflow.

There is a path to resolving an issue during an issue transition, you can achieve this by adding a post function on the transition path that adds a resolution to the issue when it is moved into (or out of) a specific state.

Tyler,

Thank you for the suggestions.  I will coordinate with an admin to implement a solution.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events