Admin permissions global, or do they need to go through permission schemes as well?

Yukiko Norton September 15, 2016

I have all the admin group assigned to me as admin, however I was told this does not give me all rights to a project, board or other things within my JIRA instance.  Are there other permissions I will need?  My current permission groups are:

• Administrators
  • JIRA-Administrators
  • Site-Admins

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2016

Permission to a project is determined by the project permissions. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/managing-project-permissions-802592442.html.

You can add one of the admin groups to the "Browse Projects" permission in the permission schemes to make it easier!

Thanks Jobin for the quick response!  

I actually did look at the article you reference, however that did not clearly state if being in an admin group does or doesn't give you permissions to everything in JIRA.  Based off your response, I gather it is "no", correct?

So, that means I have to go into any and all permission schemes and add admin in order to have admin permission to those projects/boards, correct?

Finally, can you tell me why you suggest I add the admin group to "Browse Projects" permission instead of the "Administer Projects" scheme?  Is there something more advantageous about adding it to "Browse Projects"?

Thanks Jobin!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2016

You have understood Jobin perfectly.  Administrative rights give you admin rights.  Not permission to do everything (because that's a terrible security model).  If you want project rights, you have to grant them to yourself.  Including project admin.

It is quite common (and useful) to give browse to system administrators so that they can see everything, but without polluting the projects with other things (do you need your admins to be assignable in a dev project?  Able to transition stuff they don't care about because they're not your developers?  And so-on).  Granting an admin the project admin right doesn't do much either - project admins can add and remove users and groups in the project, and maintain versions and components.  None of those are generally needed by system admins, and on the rare times a system admin needs them, they have the rights to add themselves anyway.

Thanks Nic - so then question, for me to be able to Schedule Issues, do I need to add myself to any new permission schemes?  I ask because it doesn't seem I have the ability to do it, but if I go to the permission helper and I ask if a user (myself) has access to schedule issues, it says I already have this permission.  But it seems like I cannot modify the due dates.  Ideas? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2016

It depends on the schemes.  Go to the project and look at the permission scheme - what's the rule that says "these people can schedule issues"?  I'd strongly recommend not touching the scheme, but instead, modify your account to match the rule.  Ideally, schemes will say things like "Schedule: Role X", so you would put your account in role X in that project to get the rights to do it.

However, that's a generalised answer.  It actually sounds like you may have something broken somewhere.  If the permission helper says you have permission to schedule issues, then you should indeed be able to change the due date.  But there are other ways to stop you doing it too.  Could you check the "edit" screen - does the field appear there?  Is the issue closed?  Can you click the due date on the issue view to edit it?

Hi Nic, Ok, so I looked at what you said (I think) and what I'm seeing is that Project Role "atlassian-addons-project-access" and "Administrators" (which is a group I'm in) and Application Access is "Any logged in user".  Is this what you were asking me to look at?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 15, 2016

No, I asked to look at who has "schedule" permission and if the due-date field appear on the edit screen.

Yukiko Norton September 16, 2016

Ah, Ok - nobody does right now.  That's our problem.  I'm trying to figure out how to get this field visible to my team, and I was starting with my own login to troubleshoot, and then when I figure it out apply it to the project. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 16, 2016

Ok, the date will not appear if you don't have permission.  Start by granting that permission to someone (I'd usually grant it to the role of developers, and put myself into that role to test it)

Yukiko Norton September 16, 2016

Oh, for some reason I didn't even see that 'Grant Permission' button on the top of the scheme page!  Duh.  Ok, that worked beautifully.  Thanks Nic!!

Suggest an answer