Adding additional issue type under Subtask

Hotovaga June 30, 2017

Hi folks, 

I'm using JIRA cloud v1000.

Here is the scenario.

I want to create a 'Test Suite' issue type in the 'Create' tab.

In the TestSuite, I'd link test cases. (ex: testsuite1; x amount of test cases, testsuite2: x amonut of test cases)

Once opned one of those TestSuites, I'd have an option to select TestCase an issue issue type as a subtast for that TestSuite.

here is the video I found on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/s8HuzhXyihQ

I want to do this because i want to have my own logical frameworks like this one in the above link, working outside the default JIRA environment.

Please note that i've the administrative previlages for JIRA.

Thanks in advane.

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2017

JIRA does not have anything underneath sub-task, but if you do your test suite as a normal issue type, it will work fine for you.

Hotovaga June 30, 2017

But in the video I referenced above, it's been done! @ 5:50 timing.

Thanks for your input though.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2017

No, they selected a different type of sub-task.  You can add as many different types as you want.  Have a look at the issue type scheme for the project.

Hotovaga June 30, 2017

Thanks Nic.

Of course it's doable and the presenter in that video definite did it!

I tried lots of JIRA documentation before I turned to the community. It's doable, I just don't know how to do it.

And that's the premises of this question to begin with.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2017

Go to the issue type scheme for the project, and add a new issue type to it.

Hotovaga June 30, 2017

I did.

I've created a new custom field named "Test", also added some radio button  (Test Type: Manual, Regression, Automated etc)

This field is there is the Issue>Custom Fields. 

But while creating, I didn't have an option to add that "Field " in the "Test Suite " dialogue box. 

Thanks Nic 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2017

Sounds like you have not added the field to the "dialogue".  I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that though, but I think it's the "create" screen for the sub-task type.

Hotovaga June 30, 2017

Hi Nic,

Please note that I'm not talking about creating an Issue type, which I did (eg. "Test Suite") and avaiable in the 'Create' tab.

I'm talking creating a 'custom field', eg, 'Test Type' with some selection criteria by selecting radio button, such as 'manual', 'automated' etc. (Which I did create), but, I didn't have an option to link that custom field in the Test Suite dialogue box.

The purpose of effort is for this:

I'll "CREATE" an Issue "Test Suite" (which I added in the CREATE tab) from the CREATE tab,

and in that created Issue (TEST SUITE), I'll add test cases to be executed,

and the execution type for those test cases would be selected as per requirement.

The types of execution is avaiable in the 'TEST TYPE" custom field, but I can't link TEST TYPE field in the TEST SUITE dialogue box.

Did I make sense?

Thanka again.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2017

Yes, you need to add the field to the screen that the sub-task type uses.

Hotovaga June 30, 2017

Quite not clear what you are suggesting though.

Add the Field  (Test Type)  to the Screen of (TestSuite)?

Could you please walk me through?

Thanks Nic

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2017

Go to the "issue type screen scheme" in the project, work out what screen scheme is in use for the testsuite issue-type and that will tell you what screens are in use.  Add the field to them - most importantly, the "create" screen.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events