Add something to user name

Corinna Führing December 14, 2015

Hello, can and if yes how can i add something to a user name (for example the department he is working in). Can i do this ?

6 answers

1 vote
Evan Golden December 16, 2015

I would not mess with the username at all.  I would create a separate custom field that put their department number in the requests/issues/tickets.

1 vote
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2015

I would not mess up the JIRA Usernames, I would like them be in a uniformed format. I will however, update the Display Name via an automated way (Jonas' answer) or by manually updating it (Vasiliy's answer).

thanks,, what exactly it the Display name and where can i update it ?

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2015

In the User Management screen, this is the "Full Name" column. This is the one that is being used in the JIRA issue view screen for JIRA accounts.

ah ok so you mean i should add any information regarding the users to their "Full Name " ?

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 14, 2015

Yep. I have seen a lot of JIRA admins have done that. Like: Gabrielle Bautista (Financial) Gabrielle Bautista (Marketing) Gabrielle Bautista (Security) Gabrielle Bautista (Legal)

ok thanks a lot !!!!!!

1 vote
Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 14, 2015

Assuming you would like to automate it and have a list of usernames with department name, you could generate a bunch of queries that update the cwd_user table reading out the old username, appending the department and run an update query (display names are in the column "display_name" on MySQL installs of Jira).

1 vote
Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 14, 2015

Admin console -> users -> user -> edit.

1 vote
HeidiI December 14, 2015

Why would you like to do it?  What would you like to achieve?

well one teammember is getting confused with all the new names and asked me for it..but i do not yet know if i do it since i think a lot of work to keep this updated always, since teammembers change also.......

Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 14, 2015

It can all be automated to make sure it keeps it all up to date by automagic. I would create a crontab that loops through all usernames in AD, stores username, full name and department in strings and then runs an update on the database once a day or week, offloading all this work and clicking to a simple script.

0 votes
Corinna Führing December 16, 2015

Hello, why would you not mee with username or full names (not usernames)..what is the inconvienience ?

Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2015

I can not understan what does it mean.

Corinna Führing December 16, 2015

hello i mean , what would be the risk if i add something to the names ? ( Full names)

Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2015

I have changed both of it several times for users and haven't faced any trouble.

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 17, 2015

Full Names are just for display, nothing else will be affected. All issues assigned to them will still be assigned to them. Their accounts privileges will stay as is.

Corinna Führing December 17, 2015

ok thanks so i will do it thanks

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events