Add dynamic filter to other filter results

webcapcha webcapcha January 16, 2017

It seems that this plugin do what i need https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.qotilabs.jira.rich-filters-plugin/server/overview

but i'm looking for free alternatives

Basically i want to filter result of other filter. I have the filter that i use in my gadgets. And i want to have ability add one more conditions to this gadget (like affected version for example) and change it dynamically and manually to exclude items from origin filter.

I use cloud version.

Any ideas?

3 answers

1 accepted

9 votes
Answer accepted
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2017

As you use Cloud, that specific plugin is not available to you, because it is only available for Server.

The free option you have at your disposal is using a JQL like:

<Your additional conditions> AND filter = <referenced filter name or filter id>

In example:

affectedVersion = 1.0 AND project = FOO AND filter = "The issues that matter"

Hope it helps.

Actually i created dashboard with gadgets. So i'm not able create one more gadget or whatever and do one more conditions (affected version for example) to existed gadgets, right?

And only one way is to using search issues field and everytime add JQL query?

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2017

What you can do is:

1. save a filter like the one I suggested and edit the <your additional conditions>
  2. set the newly created filter into the gadgets you want

After that, you will be able to edit the new filter with additional conditions so that your gadgets are updated accordingly.

Should you not need to add any more conditions, you can add a condition which is matched by all issues in your instance, ie:

type is not EMPTY
Like oliverseim likes this

It's interesting solution.

One more question. Could i make this solution more user friendly and create for example drop down field with several values (for example affected version like 1.0, 1.1, etc). And when user select something in drop down, after that immediately update gadgets result.

Is it possible?

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 16, 2017

Users can select the version from a dropdown menu once the Affects Version field is added in the basic view of the issue navigator this way:

affects-version.jpg

If multiple users need to be able to change the version, then the solution is a bit more complex, as only the filter's owner can edit the filter's query.

For making that possible:

1. Create a filter (first) with all the static options that you want to always be applied in your gadgets (ie: project=FOO AND type=story)
  2. Save the filter with a descriptive name like "FOO stories".
  3. Share the filter with the project(s) (All roles) that can potentially be retrieved by "FOO stories" filter.
    If projects cannot be easily predicted (ie: if the query doesn't filter by project), then you can share it with a group to which all users belong (less desirable)
  4. Create another filter (second) named "My Scope" and Do Not Share it (Important!).
    Let's make it initially with this query: type is not EMPTY
  5. Finally, create a new filter (third) and name it ie: "filtered FOO stories".
    The JQL that needs to have is:
    filter = "FOO stories" AND filter = "My Scope"
  6. Share this third filter (filtered FOO stories) exactly like done on step 3.

For the users to be able to use the dashboard so that all its gadgets are updated with their desired conditions, each of them must create a personal (not shared) filter named exactly "My Scope" (or the name you have chosen for the second filter) like described on step 4.

Once users create a so named filter, they can edit it afterwards as many times as needed, which means the same dashboard can present different info for different users simultaneously, depending on the query they have saved on their "My Scope" filter.

Dale Bosserman January 24, 2018

I am looking for the same thing except I'd like to embed the issue keys from one filter into the IN clause of another. 

For example: 

Filter 1 = labels in (Project1)

Filter 2 = parentEpic in (filter = "Filter 1")

Is there any way to get this to work? 

Like # people like this
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2018

Unfortunately, not natively.

William Sippl March 20, 2020

@Ignacio Pulgarany chance this has changed in recent times? I'm trying to do exactly what Dale described...

Like Max Cascone likes this
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 21, 2020

@William Sippl Nothing new under the sun. At least in regard to achieving that natively.

If you count with Script Runner, then you'll be able to get the sencond filter like this:

issueFunction in epicsOf("filter='My issue keys'")

Provided you have a saved filter with that name (My issue keys), which would look like this:

key in (EPIC-1, EPIC-57, EPIC-23)

Hope it helps. 

Krishnaji Singh May 16, 2020

I am using cloud version where quick filter does not support Dropdown list.

@Ignacio Pulgar, Your seems to be expert. I have similar query: Can I make links in 'Quick filter' visible or Invisible based on selection of other Quick filter link?

Example, I am managing two initiatives (CAT, EIS) in one board. These 2 initiatives has many user stories in it. I have CAT & EIS as link in Quick filters which populate the respective stories and its tasks.

Since assignee as dropdown does not support in cloud version for Quick filter, I want to show all assigned users as link in Quick filter. i.e. if I click on 'CAT' link, I should see all assigned users of stories or subtasks or bug in CAT as link in Quick filter.

when I deselect CAT and click EIS  I should see all assigned users of stories or subtasks or bug in EIS as link in Quick filter. Here assignee links for CAT is not visible.

To summarise, I want one link made visible based on selection of other link in quick filter.

Also it would be great if I can get dropdown in quick filter for selecting Assignee. These list of assignee should be visible in dropdown based on 'CAT' or 'EIS' linked clcked on Quick filter.

0 votes
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 15, 2021

If you're open to install an app, you could give our Jira cloud app Quick Filters for Jira Dashboards a try. Or look for alternatives in the Atlassian Marketplace.

0 votes
Will Hickson June 20, 2020

@Ignacio Pulgar  solution from 1.16.2017 worked for me. Create private filter that calls the public filter. Thanks!

Suggest an answer