About Editing the screen, workflow, fields, transition in Jira

Darren Chan February 16, 2017

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Working with workflows

I am a project admin of a specific JIRA Project. However, I can't Edit the screen, workflow, fields, transition in JIRA for this project

What access rights that I need to get for editing this specific project? 

Darren

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2017

Hi Darren,

you need to be System Administrator, not Project Administrator.

Regards,

Thomas

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2017

Well, JIRA admin, or System admin.

You can edit the workflow in two cases as a project admin though:

1. You are using JIRA Software and your workflow has been "simplified"
  2. You are on JIRA 7.3+ and the workflow is not shared with any other project
Darren Chan February 19, 2017

Hi Thomas, Nic,

The system admin. added me as one of the system admin. today.

However, l still can't do any edit to the workflow, screen fields and transition, please clarify.

My company name: Misfit. JIRA link: misfit.jira.com

Best Regards,

Darren

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 19, 2017

Hi Darren,

did you read the Administrator's Guide, especially https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/working-with-workflows-776636540.html ?

Do you get any error message?

Regards,

Thomas

Darren Chan February 20, 2017

Hi Thomas,

I got the system admin right today. However, when I change a status name(from "To Do" to "Problem description" in CAPA project workflow, all other projects are affected. I suppose this change is only applied to the CAPA project, since I did this change under the CAPA workflow setting. pls clarify..

JIRA link: misfit.jira.com

We need to avoid this issue happen again(i.e. change applied to specific project). Thanks.

Darren

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 21, 2017

Status is a list of shared objects - if you change a status, you affect all the workflows that are referring to it.  Create a new status and use that in the workflow you are editing.

Darren Chan February 21, 2017

Hi Nic,

Thanks for your immediate feedback.
How can I see those objects referred to the status?
Do you mean that I can't rename or delete the status in order to avoid affecting other projects?
I am thinking deleting all the transitions to the status which I don't need.
In case that I only edit the edit the custom fields, transition, screen and access right under the CAPA project settings, will it affect other projects?

pls comment on this.
Best Regards,
Darren
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 21, 2017

Yes, a lot of changes will be global, or at least apply to shared settings.  Have a look at two things:

1. Admin -> Issues - this shows you schemes and settings that affect issues that are shared, whether in groups or globally
  2. The admin guide Darren refers to
Darren Chan February 21, 2017

Hi Nic,

My Administrator don't know on why one new status - "problem description" appear in the workflow for all the projects. Do you have any idea on this? Not sure which setting can cause this failure.

Best Regards,

Darren

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 21, 2017

Are you sure that's a status?  Adding a new status to the list of available status has no effect on existing workflows, it won't add anything to them.  To add a new status to a workflow, an admin has to edit the workflow (possibly a project or board admin as mentioned above, but someone has to do it)

My best guess is that you are sharing this workflow across many projects and and admin has edited it, adding the new status to it.  So it appears in all the projects because, like everything else, it's a shared workflow.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events