Ability to identify who made changes to a JIRA screen

JanaW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2015

We have a group of administrators for JIRA, and we are trying to find out who keeps adding the "Sprint" field to certain screens.This causes an issue because the users are able to enter a sprint value from another project and it prevents that project from being able to start/stop sprints. 

To date, we have not been successful in identifying the individual making the change. Is there a way, that I might be overlooking to identify them in the system somehow on a screen change?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2015

I suggest treating JIRA like a production system and require a change control to modify anything the administrator needs to do. This will do a couple things; 1. It will allow you to track how much work (time) the admin is doing to support the tool, and 2. Make it easy to find out who asked for the change and who made it.  I'm a strong advocate of a couple days off without pay for anyone skipping the process after the first offense.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2015

... and enable the audit log so you can monitor the admins ;-)

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 14, 2015

Yes, because they can't be trusted :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 14, 2015

Well, I wouldn't trust me ;-)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 14, 2015

Well, I wouldn't trust me either ;-) Seriously, I have a terrible memory, and the audit log has reminded me of changes I made a couple of times.

0 votes
Chris Whitten [Comskil] October 13, 2015

Hey Jana,

depending on the version of JIRA, the audit log was added and can show you who changed what at a high level. You can access it under the System panel in JIRA. Hope that helps.

Chris

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 13, 2015

Enable the administrator audit log in the admin settings, that should at least trap an admin going into a screen edit.

Suggest an answer