2nd Jira instance throwing error Setup: JIRA can't create a lock for your jira.home directory why?

kapil kinikar July 20, 2018

I have installed 2nd Jira instance on same VM with different Atlassian folder name as 

C:\program files\ atlassian (Project name)\......   and different ports (other than default).

Problem: 

when I hit its login url , its throws error as '

Setup: JIRA can't create a lock for your jira.home directory

Your jira.home directory C:\Program Files\Atlassian Ashion\Application Data\JIRA can only be used by one running JIRA instance. This instance needs to create a lock to make sure another instance can't access the jira.home directory. Ensure JIRA has read and write access to the jira.home directory.
Review our documentation for more information on setting your JIRA home.

not able to run both instances at the same time. please suggest the workaround.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2018

You have told the second installation to use the same home directory as the first.

This will not work.

Stop the second installation, and give it a separate home directory.  To do this, go to <installation>/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes and edit the file called jira-application.properties

You should find that holds the location of the home directory - change it to a new separate (empty) place and restart Jira.

Mugdha July 22, 2018

Changed 'jira-application.properties' file and set different path on but no luck

Previous: jira.home = C:\\Program Files\\Atlassian sobel\\Application Data\\JIRA

New:jira.home = C:\\Program Files\\Sobel Jira\\Atlassian sobel\\Application Data\\JIRA

is anything wrong?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2018

I suspect you've copied the original directory and hence inherited the lock files. 

Start clean with nothing in the new installation's home directory.

Mugdha July 23, 2018

The JRE_HOME environment variable is not defined correctly
This environment variable is needed to run this program
C:\Program Files\sobel Jira\Atlassian sobel\JIRA\bin>

didn't understand 'Start clean with nothing in the new installation's home directory.'

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 23, 2018

Ok, so now your start up scripts are damaged, or you're using the wrong thing to try to start it.

I am not sure how else to explain "start clean", but I will try.  You need to do a proper full installation into directories that do not have anything in them.

Suggest an answer