Trouble upgrading JIRA server from 7.12.1 to current version... URL not accessible after upgrade

S_ Toyo July 17, 2019

Hello.... it might be dumb of me to ask but I'm not looking for any rude answers from anyone. We want to upgrade our JIRA from 7.12.1 to the most current version but are having trouble doing so. We tried following this guide https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/upgrading-jira-server-installer-938846937.html.

We aren't quite sure about the 'Re-apply Any Modification's step. Is this why our upgrade isn't working? Our Jira site becomes inaccessible after TRYING to upgrade? Do we take the following files BELOW and move them into the brand new Jira upgrade directory that it created? Is this what it means by REAPPLYING ANY MODIFICATIONS? Can someone please clarify?

• server.xml
  • dbconfig.xml
  • jira-config.properties
  • setenv.sh / setenv.bat (memory allocation and other JVM arguments)

Then it also says download the database driver. But we already have MySQL 2017. We need to download another......? Confused.

1 comment

Sid
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2019

Hi @S_ Toyo ,

So here I am considering latest version is 8.2.X. For this version the server.xml file is different. So I suggest not to copy form old version. Try to modify it according to your proxy & url. 

Dbconfig.xml -  you can use the same config as old unless you are changing the database. 

setenv.sh - you may need to change the JAVA memory accordingly. 

jira-config.properties - if you have any specific configurations you can copy it from old version.

Sid
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2019

to see JIRA is up, you can use ip:8080

S_ Toyo July 17, 2019

When you say 'do not copy from the older server.xml version' do you mean I don't have to copy+paste my old one? Is there a guide on how I would modify the server.xml file after upgrade according to my proxy and URL? Confused on how to accomplish this.

Not changing databases. So would I copy+paste my old JIRA 7.12.1 dbconfig.xml file from my backup and paste it into the newly created Jira upgrade directory????

Setenv.sh ... do I just edit this file? Not sure what this is.

S_ Toyo July 23, 2019

@Sidany possibility of receiving a reply from you? You have been so helpful so far.

Sid
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 24, 2019

Hi @S_ Toyo ,

Just update the server xml with the url accordingly, do not change whole file. 

if you need further assistance copy you new and old file, I will give the version to be placed in the server

Sid
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 24, 2019

In setenev file update the memory values, database file copy and paste from old

S_ Toyo July 24, 2019

Hi @Sid we will try doing this during the upgrade! I will let you know our results! Thanks so much for replying!

Sid
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 24, 2019

I would highly suggest to test in dev environment first

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events