Thoughts on the NEW Issue UI

Jen Elam TWX June 29, 2018

There is a NEW Issue UI that has been rolled out on Jira Cloud.  So far it seems horrible to me.  You can read about it here https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracorecloud/the-new-jira-issue-view-938040503.html  I am curious to hear other people's thoughts.  Does anyone like it?  If so, why?  If not, what are your pain points?

What they don't show you is a screen shot of what your issue will look like.  All custom fields get moved to a tiny sidebar.  All tab functionality is gone.  The custom fields show up in some random order that YOU CAN'T EVEN CHANGE.

I am including some sample screenshots.  Here is the old view with tabs and information logically ordered.  I can see the Priority, Components, Affects and Fix Versions, etc.  Tabs are present.

Old View Example 2.GIF

Here is the new view.  All custom fields are on the right in no particular order.  Where are the affects and fix versions?  What is the priority of this issue?  Tabs are gone.  You have to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page to see the priority and reporter.

New View Example 2.GIF

And to give you an idea of how much scrolling, here is the whole issue zoomed out.  SO MUCH WHITE SPACE. Custom fields that supported formatting (red color) no longer do.  Fields are out of order.  It is so hard to find the field you are looking for.

New View Zoom.GIF

8 comments

Jen Elam TWX June 29, 2018

I strongly encourage people to use the Give Feedback option.  A lot of our users are just turning it off but Atlassian needs to hear how bad this is.

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Paulo Alves June 29, 2018

You're right, let's make the Give Feedback option useful. Although, I'm getting used to this new UI...

Like Dave S_ likes this
Kathy Barton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2018

I can get used to things being moved around. I can't get used to things you just can't see anymore. But I am blowing up the feedback inbox :D

Dave S_ June 4, 2019

Unfortunately Atlassian ignored ALL customer feedback about the new UI, and kept worsening it every few weeks until the updates finally stopped a few months ago. Not sure if they finally fired whoever decided to screw up the great UI they had, but at least they seem to have slowed down the process of making JIRA less efficient and pleasant to use.

Kathy Barton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2018

I agree with everything already posted here and will add my $.02

1. It's now considered a Labs feature with all the associated disclaimers ("They are works in progress, so they can change or break, or may not end up released at all.") about it being in development and such but it is turned on by default for all new users. #thatsnothowanyofthisworks
  2. The issue history, work logs, and activity are currently not available. History and work logs are critical features I assume any basic task tracking system will have. I just had to tapdance around not being able to find them in a demo for a new client and was stunned when I googled it and found out they just aren't there. 

This whole thing is seriously shaking my confidence in Atlassian and their actual commitment to not &$^%@(&ing the customer. But it should make for an interesting Summit next year :p 

Like # people like this
Kathy Barton
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 18, 2018

FYI My support request to disable the new UI globally for my whole cloud instance was resolved pretty quickly with a note saying "This new feature is in its early steps and we will have a lot of enhancements before fully releasing it so just be aware that at some point the new view will be back but it will definitely have most if not all of the functionalities implemented by then." 

Like Dave S_ likes this
Jen Elam July 19, 2018

I was able to get it disabled as well but was told that this was already rolled out to 97% of Jira users.  I was shocked.  To me it is unusable.  So much functionality is lost.  I expect it will be mandatory at some point in the near future.  Not sure when that is but am really concerned.

Like Dave S_ likes this
Oleg Zvonarov July 23, 2018
Looks like this mandatory "feature" is already in place. Wasn't able to get it back since last Friday (07/20). Now it's impossible to roll out New experience. Although I understand the point that Atlassian wants to test it with real users.. what's the marketing point to do an irreversible upgrade if vast majority of customers doesn't like it? 
I was a jira user for a long time, and was recommending it to my colleagues and chose it for my own business now. But now really thinking about chat choice..
Like Dave S_ likes this
Dave S_ June 4, 2019

... and by now, of course, it's no longer possible to disable the worsened "new UI"

Deleted user August 3, 2018

After reading a number of these discussions...

Glad We are on a server version

Dwight Holman
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 13, 2018

+1 we're happy to be on Server too.

John Price
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 7, 2018

I'm generally much happier with the new UI, except for the placement of custom fields.  Does anyone know if they are working on making custom field placement configurable?  I'd like to think they are overhauling the screen config admin pages.

Dwight Holman
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 13, 2018

Here are some new & old issues that might relate to the kind of thing you're asking. Based on the history and recent discussions I don't think Atlassian are very likely to implement what you're asking. I can only suggest you vote on issues you think are important.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-20163

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-69237

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-22085

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-69237

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
John Price
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 14, 2018

I added a long comment to https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-69237.  I read Taylor's comments as suggesting they are planning to make it more configurable.

Tim Doerzbacher October 4, 2018

I'd fire whoever was the head of the UX department and find a replacement as soon as possible. No one is happy with any of this.

Like Dave S_ likes this
Tracy B March 4, 2019

Well, this is still horrible. They've now provided an "issue layout" admin screen so you can deal with your custom fields... BUT YOU  CANNOT PUT THEM IN THE WIDER COLUMN. You can only order them in the little tiny right hand column! All our big text-collecting fields are smooshed into the narrow column still. 

Thanks for nothing, Atlassian.

Dave S_ June 4, 2019

Thoughts on JIRA's new UI? "Fire the designer!"

Like Lorraine Gorman likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events