Should Sprint Field Be Part of Create and Edit Screens or Only Available via Agile Board?

Jeffrey Gordon July 26, 2018

We are having a healthy debate within our company regarding where and how the Sprint field should be set.

In one camp we have those who believe that the Sprint field should not be on the Create and Edit screens.  Their reasoning is that this can lead to choosing the "wrong" Sprint since all Sprints are listed.  This then leads to other problems like Sprints showing up on multiple boards, users not being able to start a Sprint because they don't have "manage sprints" permission in all the projects the Sprint encompasses, those "other" issues in the Sprint not showing on the board because the board filter doesn't select them, etc.  due to the potential of choosing the "wrong" Sprint

In the other camp we have people who believe that it is more efficient to be able to set the Sprint on the Create and Edit screens so they don't require additional steps like going to the board and using drag and drop (or right-click send-to).  These folks are also setting the Sprint on issues that, while part of their project, don't show up on their board and can't be added to the Sprint from there (they have their reasons...).  They are confident they will select the "correct" Sprint when doing it in the Create and Edit screens.

So we are curious what members of the community have done if you've faced a similar conundrum in your Jira implementations.

We have just over 1000 Jira projects and 90% of them use the same set of Schemes and we don't do project-specific customization such as allowing some to have the Sprint field and others not to have it or things like that. 

1 comment

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2018

Hi @Jeffrey Gordon,

this sounds very familiar to me :-)

We had the same discussions here. Years before, I put the sprint field on the create and edit screens as well because of performance issues. Some projects insisted on this field and so we added the field in general to the screens.

Soon we had some problems with issues assigned to wrong sprints. Sprints were also closed accidentally because of this. At these times, it was not possible yet to re-open a sprint...

Therefore I removed the sprint field generally. But soon, some projects wanted to have this field back - after some discussions I assigned special screens with the field to three projects . But in general, we removed the sprint fields and most of our projects are not missing them. 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events