Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Management or Software Development?

Dan Huber May 21, 2019

I just started a new role, at a new company, and JIRA is used differently across every team. There are no enterprise standards for how the tool should be used, in terms of agile development. In my past roles, I've always used JIRA as a tool to manage agile development for just my team. At my new company, there are project managers who require developers across several teams to use one JIRA project for their tasks.

I would prefer to have my team track tasks within our own JIRA project, versus one big project that several different teams track in. I want to develop my own team's velocity and have visibility to task status without having to use a custom filter to pull everything together from several projects outside of my team's project.

Has anyone run into this predicament before? I don't want to create redundancy and I don't want to interrupt a PM's existing process. At the same time, I don't believe a PM needs to track the detailed tasks my team is working on within their project.

thoughts???

1 comment

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 21, 2019

Your challenges sound like symptoms of a bigger problem. Is there a 'product owner' of Jira in your organisation?

Jira is a tool that can be configured to suit your processes. While there are best practice recommendations available - Jira does not enforce processes in itself (though workflows and configuration can help with this).

The Jira Strategy Admin Workbook has a lot of practical information. The section of establishing an Advisory Board would be particularly relevant to your organisation from what you have described.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events