Jira Cloud and Geekbot

Adria Calderon July 18, 2019

Hi,

I'm trying to automatically show jira information on slack by using Jira Cloud, on a stand-up channel where is feed by Geekbot.  Currently Jira Cloud is not displaying the information from jira, after connecting it, what should I do? if that channel is feed by Geekbot

4 comments

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2019

"Jira Cloud is not displaying the information from jira" - that does not make any sense, because if you're using a running Jira, it is displaying information.

How are you hooking up geekbot to Jira?  Is it something built into geekbot?

Adria Calderon July 22, 2019

Currently Slack allows you to use apps in the channels, so I added Jira Cloud and Geekbot on same channel.  If I write /jira demo-3476, and then Jira Cloud will be displaying the information regarding that issue in the channel, something like this:

Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 11.55.03 AM.png

But since this information is feed by Geekbot, Jira Cloud app on slack is not detecting as input from user, so there is no information displayed

Like # people like this
Andrew Skrypnyk April 12, 2020

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Any updates so far?
It should be a really useful feature for many of us

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2020

I don't understand the clarification - it looks like it is showing the information from Jira.

Could someone explain what the problem is exactly?

Andrew Skrypnyk April 12, 2020

The problem appears when we using Geekbot for posting standup updates.

Jira Cloud perfectly works, when someone from the team posts the message, but in the case of Geekbot, it didn't work

it works like a regular message: https://prnt.sc/rxwy43
but it won't with bots: https://prnt.sc/rxx0yw

sorry for screenshots quality

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 7, 2020

I am sorry, I still don't get "in the case of Geekbot, it didn't work".  What does that mean?  What is it doing and what are the errors?

Adria Calderon July 10, 2020

Like in the screenshots that Andrew shared, on the first one we have the details of the ticket, but when using bots there is no showing same details.

Like Andrew Skrypnyk likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 10, 2020

How are you "using bots"?

Andrew Skrypnyk July 10, 2020

@Adria Calderon I think, this issue is not related to Jira itself, because what we want don't work with Workflow Builder either.

I guess we should transfer this question to slack itself. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 10, 2020

Sorry, that last one was a bit terse, born of being frustrated at myself for not understanding the problem.

I work with a Slack partner and I've asked one of our Slack consultants, she's siad it's likely she could answer, but she can't be sure what the actual problem is either.  Something is not displaying, but she wants to know where it's not showing, what you are expecting to happen and what you are doing to get to where it's not showing.

Like # people like this
Adria Calderon July 10, 2020

Hi Nic,

Sorry, probably I didn't explain well enough with a complete context.

I added JIRA Cloud app and a bot into Slack.  Additional to these I have 2 channels in slack, one feeded by team members and another by the bot.  The information displayed in the channel after a team member post a Jira URL from a ticket is the following: Type, Status, Priority and Assignee, and if the bot post on the channel the same URL the information is not displayed, only the URL.  I contact Jira instead of Slack support because at the bottom of the information says "Added by Jira Cloud".  As reference you can check the 2 screenshot provided by Andrew in the comment above.

I hope you can help me with this.  Please don't hesitate to contact me for any comment or question.  Thanks in advance.

Like # people like this
Leonhardt Wille October 21, 2020

I feel this is not being followed up on, also the problem might not have been fully understood.

expected behavior

• Jira integration picks up issue numbers and issue links and posts one summary message for each (see screenshot, left)
  • it does so regardless of whether the issue number / link has been posted by a user or by a bot/integration

actual behavior

• Jira integration only picks up messages sent by an acutal user, not when a bot sends a message on behalf of a user (see screenshot, right)

hints/ideas

• ignoring messages by bots/integrations could be an implementation detail of the Jira integration, because otherwise it might react to its own messages which also include issue numbers. However, excluding messages from all bots/integrations is too broad, it should only ignore its own messages.

Hopefully this image helps to explain:

geekbot-jira.png

Like # people like this
Maxim Danilov November 4, 2020

Hi there 👋

We're experiencing the same issue when using GeekBot and Jira Slack integration, with the Jira issue mentions in the report not being picked up by Jira bot and posted by Jira bot as an expanded link.

Is there any workaround for this issue?

Ryan van Zeben
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 21, 2023

Going to bump this issue as it's still relevant. https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-Server-discussions/Jira-Cloud-and-Geekbot/m-p/1512193#M1016 has the best summary of what the problem is

Is there any workaround or solution for this?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events