Importing attachments into JIRA Cloud using CSV mapping field

Daniel Gondim July 11, 2019

Hello all!

I'm trying to import issues using the CSV file. I'm following the https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracorecloud/creating-issues-using-the-csv-importer-765593817.html

But I'm not able to import attachments or comments. I added on the file a "column" for attachment and for comment, but on the step for mapping the fields, I don't see those fields for mapping. Any ideas? thanks

https://snag.gy/p7nJNL.jpg

2 comments

Tristan Hollar September 3, 2019

Hey Daniel, we used the Excel file to import our issues into Jira.

Amber_Sparkles April 29, 2020

This does not answer the question - the mapping field is not available in the drop down selection - what are we missing?

Steven de Groot
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 18, 2022

To map the attachments you'll have to use the import functionality from the External System Import screen (<baseurl>/secure/admin/ExternalImport1.jspa).

If you select Import issues from CSV from the Issues dropdown menu you'll have a limited version of the import screen fields such as attachments and comments cannot be linked from this screen.

To import attachments from a remote Jira you also have 2 options:
1. Make the project / issues from the remote Jira public.
2. Modify the CSV file to include credentials in the attachment URL.

For example

Old

18/Mar/22 11:39 AM;admin;instructions.pdf;http://ub2:8080/secure/attachment/10100/instructions.pdf

New

18/Mar/22 11:39 AM;admin;instructions.pdf;http://admin:password123@ub2:8080/secure/attachment/10100/instructions.pdf

Mihai Nitu April 3, 2023

Hi @Steven de Groot , 

What user attribute does admin represent in the line below, from the user account perspective?

18/Mar/22 11:39 AM;admin;instructions.pdf; (...link)

I tried with an email address and display name, but none worked. The importer says "cannot find ... user. Importing as current user"

Edit: Let's say I have an attachment created by John Doe, and I want to import it keeping the original author.
        Email: John.Doe@email.com
        Full Name(Display Name): John Doe
        User ID: 1234567890abcdef 

Should I try with "User ID" instead?

Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards,
Mihai

Steven de Groot
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 6, 2023

Hi @Mihai Nitu 

Admin in my example refers to the username. Essentially you are providing the login credentials you'd normally use to log in to the application. This doesn't need to represent the original uploader of the attachment.

Lemme know how it goes! :)

Steven

Mihai Nitu April 7, 2023

Hi @Steven de Groot

On a server/datacenter version of Jira, I agree it would be the username.
In Jira Cloud, the username does not exist anymore, to say so.

In my case, I wanted to preserve the original uploader.
After some further testing, I found "the Magic formula" :-) 

Replacing "Admin" with the "User ID" would do the trick.

It is actually called "accountId" or "Atlassian ID" depending on where you are looking for it.

Best Regards,
Mihai

Steven de Groot
Atlassian Team
April 17, 2023

@Mihai Nitu ,

Gotcha, personally I haven't played around much with exports from cloud.

Thanks for sharing the solution for exports from Cloud! :)

-Steven

Mihai Nitu April 17, 2023

Hi @Steven de Groot

Actually, in my case, the export was done from an on-premise Jira instance.

The exported tickets were imported in a Cloud instance.

Edit: For the import to be successful and with the expected results, I needed to edit the exported CSV and replace the username with the Atlassian user ID for all attachments.

Best Regards,

Mihai

sheer March 4, 2022

Hey @Daniel Gondim !

I'm experiencing the same issue.

Did you manage to solve it eventually?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events