How to resolve The table collation: 'SQL_Latin1_General_CP437_CI_AS' is unsupported by JIRA.

S_ Toyo July 17, 2019

Anyone can assist? Is there a query script I can run to fix this? Or possibly change all the CI_AS to the correct in one query? Someone please help!

2 comments

Lady Di
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 17, 2019

What database are you using?

I attach a link to the official Atlassian documentation, which explains how to fix for mysql:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/kb/how-to-fix-the-collation-and-character-set-of-a-mysql-database-744326173.html

Like Petr Vaníček likes this
S_ Toyo July 17, 2019

Hello! How do I find out what version of Mysql I am running? I wasn't the previous person who had initially setup our Jira server and I am just simply 'taking over' everything going forward.

Petr Vaníček
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2019

Hi @S_ Toyo

I expect you are using MS SQL. If it's true then you have worse way how to troubleshoot this. In that case is need to follow this KB article with new database (unfortuantely not only change it like in MySQL as suggested by @Lady Di ).

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-fix-the-collation-of-a-microsoft-sql-server-jira-database-776646810.html

S_ Toyo July 17, 2019

Hello, yes we are using MySQL. Would I really have to create a brand new database to fix this issue? But how did it possibly get changed to begin with? We never ever had this error before. By creating a brand new database to get rid of this error, would we lose all of our data in JIRA?

Petr Vaníček
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2019

But I was talking about MS SQL. So what DBMS are you using? Can you look into HOME-DIR/dbconfig.xml and copy-paste here your DB driver?

S_ Toyo July 17, 2019

Hello sorry, yes I meant MS SQL. This is the only dbconfig.xml file I found.

Here is what was inside the file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<jira-database-config>
<name>defaultDS</name>
<delegator-name>default</delegator-name>
<database-type>mssql</database-type>
<schema-name>dbo</schema-name>
<jdbc-datasource>
<url>jdbc:sqlserver://;serverName=localhost;portNumber=1433;databaseName=jira;integratedsecurity=true</url>
<driver-class>com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver</driver-class>
<!-- <driver-class>net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver</driver-class> -->
<username>jira</username>
<password>jira</password>
<pool-min-size>20</pool-min-size>
<pool-max-size>20</pool-max-size>
<pool-max-wait>30000</pool-max-wait>
<validation-query>select 1</validation-query>
<min-evictable-idle-time-millis>60000</min-evictable-idle-time-millis>
<time-between-eviction-runs-millis>300000</time-between-eviction-runs-millis>
<pool-max-idle>20</pool-max-idle>
<pool-remove-abandoned>true</pool-remove-abandoned>
<pool-remove-abandoned-timeout>300</pool-remove-abandoned-timeout>
<pool-test-on-borrow>false</pool-test-on-borrow>
<pool-test-while-idle>true</pool-test-while-idle>
</jdbc-datasource>
</jira-database-config>

Petr Vaníček
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 17, 2019

Perfect, then just follow up linked article for MS SQL. You will create new DB, but you will be able to restore data from your instance. Read all of steps really carefull and let me know, but I think you will done it without problem. ;-)

Like S_ Toyo likes this
S_ Toyo July 17, 2019

Thanks so much! I am trying to create a new DB based on the guide you provided above. But right now the "Getting the list of objects from 'jira'" is taking a long time. Hopefully it finishes soon so I can restore my data into the new DB and we can be free of that horrible error!

S_ Toyo July 18, 2019

Hello, I am having difficulty exporting my database. When I get to the "Data source" page I am unsure what I'm looking at in the drop down menu. The guide says to make sure my old database is selected..... but I don't think I'm seeing it in this drop down list. So confused. :(

2019-07-18_10-02-09.png

Petr Vaníček
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 21, 2019

Hi,

sorry for late response. There must be option like SQL Server Native Client - you will use it also for destination source.

S_ Toyo July 22, 2019

Hello Petr, I will try again and see if I see that SQL Server Native Client as I scroll more down in the list.

S_ Toyo July 22, 2019

Hi Petr,

I see this as I scrolled to the bottom. Is this what I select? And I just choose Next? Or do I have to do something else?

2019-07-22_15-43-12.png

Petr Vaníček
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 23, 2019

Hi,

look at this tutorial - it seems like it can help you. Prabably you will only need insert some SQL server credentials if you don't have access with your Windows (Domain) account.

https://www.sqlshack.com/techniques-to-bulk-copy-import-and-export-in-sql-server/

S_ Toyo July 23, 2019

@Petr VaníčekAfter following all of your steps in the guides you provided us. We stop Jira via the Services window. Located the dbconfig.xml file and change our URL to our new database that we created. But now our Jira front end won't come online after we start the Jira service again. :( Did we miss a step? How do we gain access to our Jira web URL again?

2019-07-23_13-42-43.png

S_ Toyo July 23, 2019

@Petr VaníčekI think we missed this step. But how do we run the script we created against our new database that we created?2019-07-23_14-34-00.png

Petr Vaníček
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 24, 2019

Hi,

I'm not so experience with MS SQL so I recommend you to go word by word and step by step again.

Or also you can share part of logs with errors, but if you do not followed steps described in documentation then will be better start from scratch.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events