Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

component vs epic

What is a component and how to use it . What is the difference between a component and Epic ?

2 answers

2 votes
Mikael Sandberg Community Leader Apr 01, 2019

Components are sub sections of your project and you can use them to organize your issues into smaller parts.

Epic is a large body of work that can be broken down into smaller user stories or tasks. 

Hi Mikael,

can you elaborate on your points? I am not getting a proper understanding of this.

If you explain with any of example will more helpful

Like # people like this
Mikael Sandberg Community Leader Feb 06, 2020

Hi @apurv07,

Welcome to Atlassian Community.

The link I included for the epic has a pretty good example of what an epic is. Components are used to break down your project into smaller parts, one example is that you use teams as components. You can then set the component lead to your team lead and automatically have an issue assigned to him/her when a new issue is created.

Like LiLingYi likes this

Hi Mikael,

can you elaborate on your points? I am not getting a proper understanding of this.

If you explain with any of example will more helpful

Thanks.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira

Online AMA this week: Your project management questions answered by Jira Design Lead James Rotanson

We know that great teams require amazing project management chops. It's no surprise that great teams who use Jira have strong project managers, effective workflows, and secrets that bring planning ...

167 views 1 6
Read article

Atlassian Community Events