Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

at JiraCoreServer with ServiceDesk installed > why do I not see the new Project-Templates?

Hello together,

at JiraCoreCloud with ServiceDesk installed different new templates are offered when creating a new project.

Jira - templates@cloud - 1v2.pngJira - templates@cloud - 2v2.png

Also it is easy to change the template a project is based on later.

For our very small team (voluntary project) we want to use several of these templates combined with the need of several TB of DiskSpace ... so I bought some of the last licenses for Crowd- + Confluence- + JiraCore- and JiraServiceDeskServer.

Now while starting with installing and configuring ... these templates easy to find at cloud do not appear within our Server-Installation of JiraCore+ServiceDesk(Server).

Questions:

Are they only available within the cloud version or ist there another cause why they not appear at our Server-Instance?

Any help + any idea would be very nice.

thank you

Stephan

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer Atlassian Team Apr 05, 2021

Hi Stephan,

If I understand the problem here, you first started working with Jira Service Management in Cloud, and then found that the project creation types are not showing the exact same options in the Server platform.   There sometimes are these differences in platforms, as the Cloud and Server products do not always have a 1:1 feature parity.

This is one of those cases.  The Cloud offerings provide 6 JSM project templates at creation, whereas Server/DC provides only 3.  Some of these overlap, while others are slightly different.  I think the main reason for this difference is more in regards to the different customer requirements between Cloud and Data Center users of our products.  In general Atlassian would prefer to land new customers in our Cloud platform.  I believe that these other project creation template types were created only in Cloud.  It might be possible to port these to Server, but I do not presume this is a trivial task today.

I tried to search our existing feature requests that I think relate to this particular feature, but I have not found any suggestion type tickets on JAC in the JSDSERVER project.  I do not expect that this particular feature is going to be made to look the same in both platforms any time soon.  We could create a new feature request here on your behalf, but I want to make sure that we capture the problem here accurately.  Is the frustration here the different options between Cloud and Server? Or is there a specific project template type in Cloud that you are missing in Server?

Please let me know,

Andy

Hi Andy,

at first "thank you" for the efforts and the time you invested in this case by writing down this answer.

Summarized I can say, that we bought the last available server-licenses caused by our heavy needs according to DiskSpace and in order to be able to use nearly all of these new templates (Business/JiraCore + Service/JSM).

Before buying we investigated the documentation for Confluence + Jira + the needed Add-Ons (most not available for Cloud) and I think there was no hint, that the available Templates at Cloud- + Server-Versions will differ forever.

Now it becomes clear, that we will not be able to use our Server- + AddOn-Licenses.

We are only a small team of less than 10 People, so I think there is no need to open a Jira-Ticket, because everybody else seems to be happy.

We understand the mis/advantages of Atlassian-Cloud Products and the target to push Customers to Cloud (> easier and quality-secured deploying, ...) ... by ensuring, that the functions available at Cloud always will be better than those at Server-Instances.

What we not understand is, that no customer seems to has problems with paying up to twelve times of license-costs per year.

For big installations / instances the difference should reach very large amounts per year.  It is not neccessary that you comment or answer this thought.

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi @Stephan Allerchen ,

Let's see if we can figure this out :)

For one, yes the templates should be available both on Cloud and Server. Their names might be a bit different and some items might be different as well as cloud is pretty much updated constantly while of course the server/dc editions only get new items when they get a new version.

Can you check a first item being if the JSM app is actually installed?

If on your environment you go to "Versions and Licenses" and see whether the JSM application is actually licensed and installed?

Also you mention that you could easily switch the templates on Cloud, that's not something I'm aware of once a project is created. Now a template is just a type of project within JSM or JSW or JC and which settings you enable/disable usually define the "template"

Hi @Dirk Ronsmans ,

at first ... thank you for your answer.

My answer is ... yes, JiraCore + JiraServiceDesk are both installed and both are licensed.

Dirk Ronsmans Community Leader Mar 30, 2021

When you currently try to create a project, do you not see any templates or just less than on Cloud?

@Dirk Ronsmans 

These versions and licenses are installed:

JiraCore+JiraServiceManagent - licenses and versions.pngAnd these are the only templates we see when trying to create a new service- or business-project:

JiraCore+JSM - ProjectTemplates for Business & Service.png

For me it seems, that these are only the old template-versions.

Hint > we use a fresh install without any kind of old configurations or data!

Dirk Ronsmans Community Leader Mar 30, 2021

@Stephan Allerchen ,

(I wrongly assumed you didn't see any templates)

This actually looks like the normal amount of templates for On Premise. (server/dc)

The development between Cloud <-> On Premise is not one line so both roadmaps differ in functionality.

I even believe 8.16 doesn't even have the JSM template yet but still creates a JSD project.

I'll see if I can get some definitive answer about this from Atlassian directly but I'm leaning towards "you'll have to wait till they trickle down in the next versions"

Like Henri Seymour likes this

I think you are right - but - because we talk about workflow-templates it should not be a challenge for Atlassian to make them available for Server/DataCenter Versions ... unless, their delayed availability is one more trigger to push the maximum of users to cloud-versions.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

JSM June Challenge #2: Share how your business teams became ITSM rockstars

For JSM June Challenge #2, share how your non-technical teams like HR, legal, marketing, finance, and beyond started using Jira Service Management! Tell us: Did they ask to start using it or...

168 views 6 7
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you