What's the main difference between "Excluded Term (-)" and "NOT (!)" when doing Advanced Search?

Nil Ister June 3, 2019

I understand that NOT is equivalent to a difference using sets and it excludes documents that contain the term after NOT. I also know that NOT cannot be used with just one term, however, I'm not quite sure what would be the best use case for NOT and "Excluded Term (-)" when conducting Advanced Search. What are different use/search examples for NOT and "Excluded Term" since they both exclude the term after the keyword.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2019

Excluded term runs a text search that excludes the given string. Text fields

Not refers to fields' values, finding a field with a value that is not that string, number, option. That is, text fields and other field types

Nil Ister June 3, 2019

Thank you! So then, if I say assignee = "atlassian" NOT "jira", it would look at the value of assignee field and would not show me any documents/issues with the assignee "Jira".

If I search for "atlassian" -jira, it will show me all issues that contains the text/word "atlassian" but will exclude the word "jira".

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events