We have a custom field that has different values in it based on the jira project how to maintain

Rob Lazorchak January 14, 2022

We have a custom field called "SOW" and each of our JIRA projects has on going new SOW values.. Our tool Mavenlink generates the SOW values and we have to manually export the values and add them to the SOW custom field for that particular custom. Also some of the fields become closed over time. 

Is there a way to do either: 

Import the list of SOW items for the particular customer? and then have the ones not on the list just imported disabled? 

Can we provide a very limited rights to our product owners.. giving them access to change only the SOW custom fields page and no other admin access? 

Is it possible to use the API to update the SOW custom field list? 

Thanks, 

Rob Lazorchak

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2022

Hey @Rob Lazorchak 

OOTB this wont be possible you may have to rely on add-ons.

Not sure if all of your requirements gone meet with the plugin, but you can start looking at this plugin and explore to see if it meets your ask https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/23337/elements-connect-external-data-fields?tab=overview&hosting=server

Regards,

Vishwas

Armand Luziau_Elements_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 17, 2022

Hey @Vishwas  ,

Thank you for mentioning us!

Best,

Armand

Like Vishwas likes this
3 votes
Armand Luziau_Elements_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 17, 2022

Hey @Rob Lazorchak 

I’m the solution engineer at Elements and I think our app Elements Connect can help you with your issue. The goal of Elements Connect is to bring the external data into Jira, and this is exactly what you are describing.

Import the list of SOW items for the particular customer? and then have the ones not on the list just imported disabled?

Is it possible to use the API to update the SOW custom field list?

Yes, it’s possible, I checked the Mavenlink API documentation and you can use Elements Connect to access this datasource as described here.

I recommend you contact us through our support or directly book a 1:1 call with me to exchange about your use case.

Best,
Armand

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2022

Hi Rob - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

We use an add-on called External Fields for Jira which keeps the list of values for the field updated. 

Rob Lazorchak January 17, 2022

thanks.. let me give that a try. 

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer