Users don't get Emails when writing a new comment

Karl Weber May 23, 2018

Hello,

Users with role "service desk customers" don't get an email when i write a new comment. When i change the role to "service desk team" they get emails but i don't know how to fix it.

Can someone explain me in a few steps how to check the settings?

Thanks!

Karl

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Karl Weber May 24, 2018

I tried everything now, but i can't get JSD to send emails to a user. When i write a comment als Administrator i get an email notifcation but not the user. Is there a way to reset the JSD settings? I also created a new project... still the same.

Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2018

The users even did not get notified when you add a public comment (respond to customer)?

Are the users licensed Jira Users or are they unlicensed customers?

Karl Weber May 24, 2018

No. At the moment the User don't get any notification. This is how the testuser is configurated at the moment.notification3.JPG

Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2018

Hmm, that's weird.

According to your screenshots and this users configuration, it should be fine.

I'll try to recap this all in my words what I understood and what I think is configured, that helps me thinking out loud and maybe you will see something that's different.

The Scenario is:

• Max Mustermann (MM) creates an issue and is by that the reporter of the issue.
  • Karl Weber is adding a comment
  • MM is NOT getting a notification 

Your configuration is:

• MM can recieve emails, and does not have any email-rules, that moves or deletes incoming emails. There is no Spam-Filter (or spam-folder is checked for emails)
  • MM is an active user in the jira-servicedesk-user group
  • MM has permissions for the project (at least "Browse Project" and "Create Issue")
  • The notification scheme is configured that the Author is notified on "Issue Commented"
  • Outgoing Email is configured and your mailserver accepts emails from that sender

While writing this down, I noticed we did not have a look on the permissions.

Does the test-user have permission to see (Browse Project) the issues. Jira will only send notifications, if the user can see the issue. That might be the difference to the case when the user is in the admin group, as he can see the issue then.

Karl Weber June 5, 2018

Hello! Yes!!! This was the missing link! After setting this permission (Browse Project) the users get their notifications! 

Thanks a lot!

Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2018

Hi @Karl Weber,

you are welcome, great to hear it works now.

Aditya NEgi December 16, 2019

Hi 

Thank you for all the suggestions. 

I am facing a different scenario here. My customers are all non Jira users. 

So when they email me an issue, I am able to see the issue in the queue but when i try to reply to the customer in a comment, the customer is unable to receive an email from my end. 

How can I fix this issue ? 

0 votes
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2018

Hi @Karl Weber,

I am not completly sure, but I think the problem is, that he is in the Customer Role.

The customers usally do not get "Jira standard notifications" but will get the "Jira Service Desk customer notifications" (don't know how to explain it in other words).

This way customers will only be notified, if a public comment is added.

Maybe you can try to add a public comment and see, if they get notified then.

Is there a reason, why this user should be in the customer role? It looks for me, as if it is just a jira user and not a customer in the way of JSD.

0 votes
Karl Weber May 23, 2018

Hi! I think it is set up correctly.... But still no Notification to the user:

notification2.JPG

notification.JPGnotification1.JPG

0 votes
Jason Galea
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2018

Hi @Karl Weber,

Go to the project settings and modify the notification scheme.

Add the users individually or the whole group to the type of notification. 

Suggest an answer