User group, permission scheme and project permission quandry

Joseph Marsh February 23, 2021

Capture1.JPGCapture2.JPGCapture4.JPG

Hi,

I am posting after becoming rather frustrated having followed numerous help articles and forum posts in order to be able to setup a user group and permission scheme for an SEO team in Jira Core.

I have created an SEO user group, an SEO working group permission scheme, assigned the user group and restricted access to the SEO projects (SEO Action Requests and SEO Issue Log) to the user group and permission scheme but those in the SEO user group are able to see and access all other projects once logged in.

The projects are not included in the Default Permission scheme, instead are allocated only to the VM SEO Working Group but this does not restrict access to the other projects.

Any guidance or advice on how to rectify this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joseph

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2021

Hey @Joseph Marsh ,

from what I can gather you would like to limit the SEO users to only their projects but right now they also still have access to other projects. 

To me this seems like an issue with the permission scheme on those other projects.

Can you check those and see if they have something set up like "any logged in user" or "public" defined in them (or in the main shared permission scheme)?

By limiting the access of those SEO projects to only the SEO users (with that scheme) does not influence the other projects unless they have a more open permission scheme set up right now.

Joseph Marsh February 23, 2021

Hi @Dirk Ronsmans ,

Thank you for the prompt response and information on the permission frustrations I'm having.

I've taken a look at the permission scheme assigned to the other projects, removed any logged in user on the browse projects permission and attached screenshots of the other permissions. For reference jira-core-users is the user group that excludes the team that are in the SEO user group and that have access to the SEO projects. Do you see anything amiss in the way that this is now configured?

Thanks again for your help.

Best wishes,
JosephPermission1.JPGPermission2.JPGPermission3.JPGPermission4.JPG

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2021

I'm not a huge fan of having the jira-core-users as the "Administer Projects" permission but that depends who you put in to that group of course.

As a best practice I would create Roles and apply those roles to the permission scheme.

That way you can on a project by project basis apply roles to users/groups but still have the same permission scheme (and thus avoid having users too much permission in any project due to a too general permission/group)

Joseph Marsh February 26, 2021

Thank you for the reply and information @Dirk Ronsmans it is most appreciated. I will take a look at the Roles approach and functionality.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events