Terms of Use link

Douglas Buchanan May 20, 2019

I carefully defined the problem with all the necessary detail.

Then when I went to click "publish" I saw that I should view "Terms of Use". I clicked on it, reviewed it. then clicked the back button and my  question and details were GONE!!!

Can ATLASSIAN fix this?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 21, 2019

Hey Douglas, welcome for your now-second post!

You're absolutely right that the Terms of Service box only appears on first-time posts. I've reproduced the experience you had on a test account and agree that how it works now is frustrating. Community doesn't auto-save your form input (like a Confluence page would for example) so it's quite possible to accidentally wipe out your unsubmitted question.

In my own personal travels around the internet, I use Typio Form Recovery to make those types of text fields persist through an accidental page refresh. There are similar extensions for Firefox and Safari as well. This doesn't help get back what was lost, but can avoid the frustrating experience for you in the future.

We've taken note about the link and will work at getting it to open in a new tab/window by default for future first-timers. Thanks so much for describing in depth and helping make the Community a better place for all!

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

0 votes
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2019

That's annoying. Where were you when this happened? To understand the problem I would expect Atlassian would want Steps to Reproduce, Expected Result and Actual Result

Douglas Buchanan May 20, 2019

I was accessing JIRA through Microsoft Edge I clicked on "Ask the community" and chose "Ask A Question". Then the (I suppose) standard "Ask a Question" page opened. I filled it in. Before I clicked the "Publish" button I saw a notice. that said something like "By clicking 'Publish' you agree to the Terms of Use."  the word "Terms of Use" was a link.

When I Go through similar steps now the notice does NOT appear. I assume the notice does not appear because it is no longer my first time opening the "Ask a Question" page.

When I clicked on the "Terms of Use" it did not open a new page to display those terms. It re-used the "Ask a Question" page and threw away my carefully composed message.

I expected to see a button somewhere on the "Terms of Use" page indicating that I read or accepted the terms, or at least a go back button. There was none. I locked at my other pages opened in Microsoft Edge where my question still might reside. No joy! So I hit the back button on the "Terms of Use" page and a new, empty "Ask a Question" page was there in front of me!

Atlassian, please fix this for the next first time question asker.

(Thanks Matt)

Like Monique vdB likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events