1) I have created Story with Original Estimate of 4w
2) I have created Subtask 1 Original Estimate of 2w
3) I have created Subtask 2 Original Estimate of 2w
4) I log work on Subtask1 for 1 w
5) Subtask1 Remaining Estimate shows 1w which is correct
6) Story Remaining Estimate still shows 4w
Please suggest why log work is not rolling up to Parent Story.
I think you have misunderstood. Time tracking and time estimation are the same thing. A parent issue has a panel that shows the time tracking, with a flag to tell it to include sub-tasks or not.
Have another look at the available fields; the ones like original estimate, work logged etc report only on the current issue. Go to the bottom of the list of fields and you will see Σ fields that have the same name. Those mean "show data current issue and sub-tasks (if any)". Those should do what you need in a filter result gadget.
Amit - I don't see that anyone has answered your question from a year ago. I have the same question today - can the story be in points and the sub tasks be in hours - that is what I'm used to in other tools - and sprint capacity is tracked in hours / person. Any advice from JIRA best practices?
Same question. Other tools typically track sprint velocity in hours estimated/versus actual. So having subtasks on stories roll-up for estimated, time remaining, and actual makes sense. That is how other tools work.
I am trying to figure out how to do with without creating a script.
Edit: Found it. The answer below actually had it.
In Board Settings - > Card Layout
There are 3 possible metrics you can show on each card on the board.
At the very bottom of the list are settings with the Σ (sigma) symbol. Those sum the values from the subtasks.
Happy to provide more info, just not sure what to provide.
Repro steps for what I'm seeing (could very well be user error):
1. In the backlog view, click a parent ticket which is correctly showing an estimate that totals all its subtask estimates
2. Change the estimate on the parent manually to anything
3. Change the estimate on the parent back to 0
4. Expected: estimate would revert to showing the total of its subtasks. Actual: estimate remains at 0 forever.
I am experiencing the same issue — there is no way to select „include sub-tasks” in the new Jira view. The bug is reported here https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-69587 The workaround suggest to get back to the old issue view in Personal Settings. The thing is... this option is not available anymore in my profile page (previously visible in Jira Labs section).
Has anybody tackled this?
Hi, I have some issue related to Remaining time estimate.
1. The sprint has been created by some user.
2. The sprint contains defects and stories
3. Remaining time estimate has been provided in sub-tasks during issue creation, which is visible in parent issue's time tracking. (If we remove Include sub-tasks, the Time tracking data will be invisible because it was coming from child tasks).
4. I added few details in active sprint's backlog, to view time estimates (i.e., Σ Original Estimate and Σ Remaining Estimate). So I can view total time estimate and total remaining time. So data is fine here.
5. When I check workload by assignee in sprint's backlog (by pressing three dots), I see Remaining estimate and Remaining time estimate based on assignee. Which is zero in all cases... The workload feature addition details provided by Attlassian is here. https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-11177?error=login_required&error_description=Login+required&state=cd4a5d3e-674a-4ab9-9569-e0d09497f9d4
6. This Remaining Time estimate is zero for all the issues where time is being taken down from sub-tasks, while it is giving value for those were estimate time has been added for paresnt task.
7. When I see burndown report for that sprint, it takes the same figures (as in asignee workload) .Why Remaining time estimate is not being read properly when Σ Remaining Estimate per issue is present.
****It is the case that sprint does not take sub-task's time estimate when sprint is created?Because when sub-tasks are showing correct estimate after work-logs are added in later point of time, why the same remaining estimate is being recorded in burndown when sprint was first created?
Please provide your opinion based on your work exp.
I can confirm I have exactly the same issue described above by Pooja. The remaining estimate is zero in the workload by assignee, when this value is determined by sub tasks only. Observed on multiple projects. Cards have the estimate items added as in 4. above.
To further show the behaviour , if I goto a story that has various estimated sub tasks, and add an original estimate at the story level, then ONLY this new value appears on the workload by assignee table, not the total estimate including sub tasks.
Jira cloud 8.5.5
As a followup I have resolved the observation above.
In this case the scrum board filter query excluded sub tasks issue types. When this was changed to include sub tasks then the estimates by assignee shows as expected.
I then added a quick filter to exclude the subtask issuetype when required.
For JSM June Challenge #2, share how your non-technical teams like HR, legal, marketing, finance, and beyond started using Jira Service Management! Tell us: Did they ask to start using it or...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events