Release non-Stories in Kanban board or Customize Kanban release query

Deleted user February 14, 2019

We are on Jira Cloud. I have a Kanban board with over 3500 closed issues containing Stories, Bugs, Tasks etc. I am trying to remove these issues out of the board by Releasing them. When I click on Release button, I see only about 1000 issues ready to released. I looked at the query and see its based on fixVersion. The problem is only Stories and Bugs have fixVersions field, others do not. So it appears there is no way I can release them. 

Is there a way to customize the Kanban query to force it to pick up all the Closed items in Done column?

I've thought of other ways - filtering, sub-filtering, adding labels, adding future versions for remaining tickets - None of them look ideal and have some cons, that I want to avoid by really releasing the Tasks.

2 answers

0 votes
Deleted user February 15, 2019

[Solved]

The problem was with how Issue Types and Screen configurations were handled in our instance of Jira cloud.

The solution was simple. While configuring the layout for a issues (Configure menu item), move the FixVersions from Secondary Fields to Primary Fields section. If its not available there, Goto Project Settings, Find the Issue Type and Screen associated with it and move the field to the desired screen.

0 votes
Claudiu Lionte
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 14, 2019

Hi Vasu,

Releases and fix versions are per project. If your Kanban board has a filter that allows issues from multiple projects to be displayed, this might explains why you cannot release them.

Can you share a bit more context on what you are trying to achieve here? Is your Kanban board too crowded and you want to filter out some issues? 

Claudiu

Deleted user February 14, 2019

Hi Claudiu,

My Kanban board has only one project. I can release the Done column items (all status=Closed), but not all tickets from the Done column are picked up. When I click Release, the dialog box shows a subset number (~1000 out 3000+). When I click on that number link, it shows a JQL: project = abc and status=6 and fixVersions is EMPTY. The problem I see is, the field FixVersion is associated only with Stories and Bugs and not with Tasks/Epics. So the remaining 2000+ non-Stories/Bugs are not releasable, because Kanban does not see them.

My Kanban is indeed crowded, but I want to release all the Done items, so it does not appear in my board any more. I can do with sub-filtering (status != Closed) but then any new items I close will also disappear from the board.

The default Kanban release query is "project = X and status = Closed and fixVersion is empty". I want to change this and drop the fixVersion clause, because Tasks/Epics do not have FixVersion field. This is not a one-time problem, because any non-Story/Bug I create in Kanban board can never be "released", because FixVersion field is not associated.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events