Moving Zephyr testcases from Server Jira to Cloud Jira

John Holland February 6, 2017

Hi,

We are moving our JIRA from Server to Cloud. A big part of this move is to get our 4000 Zephyr testcases from Server to Cloud. However, In Cloud, I don't have the 'Zephyr Teststep' custom field (see screenshot) that I have in my server version of Jira, therefore I can't map the teststeps. This is massively important for us as we have too much data to manually move. Has anyone else overcome this issue before?

image2017-2-6 13:28:17.png

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2017

Hi John,

I haven't done it myself, but I found something on the Zephr help centre which seems to cover this: https://support.getzephyr.com/hc/en-us/articles/204550179-How-do-I-import-test-cases-into-Zephyr-for-JIRA-Cloud-

Hopefully someone with first-hand experience can chip in on this question - I'll add tags to make it more visible to those who can help.

Alternatively, it's probably worth you having a look through the Zephyr docs and/or raising a support request with the vendor at  http://www.getzephyr.com/support if you haven't already.

Hope this helps a bit.

Sam

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2017
John Holland February 6, 2017

Thanks Sam. The big issue I have is the missing Custom field and the inability to add it as the required Field type is not available in Cloud Jira. I have posted in the Zephyr community as suggested.

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 6, 2017

OK. I think in the case of Zephyr for JIRA Cloud, the test steps are stored in Zephyr's databases rather than on the Atlassian Cloud servers - hence no custom field.

That's why you see a "Loading add-on..." type message when you view a test case in JIRA - it's pulling the data from Zephyr's servers.

I guess that is why the Zephyr support pages point to their own custom importer utility - to load test step data into the Zephyr database.

The storage details are mentioned in Zephyr's Cloud Security Statement. Point 3 mentions test steps in particular:

3. Stored JIRA data. 
The Cloud version of Zephyr for JIRA uses JIRA issues REST APIs to query data from selected projects. Zephyr stores, in its own database, all test steps, executions and attachments related to testing.

Anyway, I hope your post in the Zephyr community will get a definitive answer for you and solve your problem.

Please consider posting the outcome details here if you do. I'm sure it will help others with the same question.

Sam

0 votes
John Holland February 8, 2017

Thanks Sam, the import tool worked. Needed to remove the Zephyr Teststep title from the exported spreadsheet and make a few more modifications, but I eventually got it to work. There were issues importing Sub tasks, but I didn't have many, so I manually linked them

It would be great if you could import images in to JIRA too, I know it is on the roadmap.

Kevin Hoelzel December 19, 2017

John, what modifications did you have to remove?  My export of Test Search does not include any of the test step data and I exported All Columns.

Suggest an answer