Migrating 'ALL' from Jira Cloud to On Premise

Robert Botzer February 14, 2019

I am looking to migrate all Jira and Service Desk projects and users from the Cloud to an On Premise Server.

(My business unit was acquired, and we use Cloud, but the acquiring company wants to move to on-premise.)

I am planning on using Backup ( of the Cloud), and Restore (on a new instance) on-Prem.

Is it as simple as that ?  Or should I be looking to move project by project ?
(We have about 15 Projects)

Thoughts ?

1 answer

1 vote
Jack [AppFox]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 14, 2019

Hi Robert,

Exporting a Cloud instance will export the whole dataset - so the best route is to migrate all of the data in one go, as you'll save time (but you may want to perform this out-of-hours).

You can import the exported data into an on-premise system as long as you're running the latest Jira version - which is 8.0 at the moment.

A note of caution on Apps (plugins), as each one may or may not support migrating to Server - so worth checking this out first.

- My answer has assumed you're migrating to a new Server (or Data Center) instance - if on the other hand you need to migrate into an existing Jira system, the answer is a bit more complicated, as you must use the 'Project Import' and there may be more challenges.

Jack

Robert Botzer February 14, 2019

Thanks Jack.

Actually we do plan on migrating to an existing On Premise Jira with other Projects,
but are planning to do it in 2 steps.

First Cloud to NEW On Premise instance,  and then...

Do some 'fixups'  ( like remove accounts that would end up being 'duplicated' )

and THEN move from one On Premise instance to the final one.

Jack [AppFox]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 14, 2019

You're on the right path - e.g. if you rename the users to match the ones on the existing system (or ones you have created/synced), then the merge will 'match' up the users.

Something like the following would work

1. Export Cloud (Full Backup)
  2. Import into Intermediate (Full Import, Latest Jira)
  3. Deal with inconsistencies
  4. Recreate Configuration Items on Existing Server (Manually or using a tool)*
  5. Export Intermediate (Full Backup)
  6. Import one-by-one using Project Import into the existing Server

*Project Import doesn't include the configuration - like schemes, users and Custom Fields and these need to exist on the 'existing system' before the Project Import will allow you to continue - this can be done manually or using a tool.

There's some more information on the importing process here.

Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2019

Hi Robert,

As Jack mentioned the Project Import/Export tool requires all configuration to exist before you import the data, which means that you have to manually create it. This task could take hours, days in some cases. It is a tedious and error prone process. There are other significant limitations as well - version support, date formats, etc.

This is the reason why we developed Configuration Manager for JIRA, using our app you can migrate both the issue data and configuration at once, successfully recreating the projects with no data loss.

You can find more information here: https://botronsoft.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/CMJ/pages/64880745/Move+Projects+with+Issue+Data

Also don't hesitate to drop us an email at services@botronsoft.com if you need more information.

Cheers,

Peter T

Suggest an answer