Migrate JIRA filters and dashboards

srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2016

Is there any way to migrate filters and dashboards of JIRA from one instance to other?

6 answers

1 vote
srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2016

Actually we are using JIRA 6.4 version and planning to merge two JIRA instances. We cannot use full system restore as it will wipe out the contents on target instance hence we are planning to migrate projects and issues using Project Import. The problem with this approach is it will not import filters and dashboards  so I am looking for options to migrate filters and dashboards separately.

0 votes
Deleted user February 18, 2016

Srinivas - I saw your post on the Atlassian Q&A blogs. As you can see from Bori's comments, our Botron PSO team has years of everyday-experience managing the merge, un-merge, and migration of JIRA & Confluence instances.

I can set up a call to discuss how you can accelerate getting your project completed with the least amount of fuss & muss. Just let me know smile rich.bowman@botronsoft.com

PS: I sent you a LinkedIN email also 

0 votes
Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 18, 2016

You could use Script Runner console to 

1. Get all filters on first instance
  2. Set it all on second instance

Here is code example how to get all filters:

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor;
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.search.SearchRequest;
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.search.SearchRequestManager;
import com.atlassian.jira.sharing.SharePermission;
import com.atlassian.jira.user.ApplicationUser;
import com.atlassian.jira.user.util.UserUtil;

ArrayList<String> Filters = new ArrayList<String>();
UserUtil userUtil = ComponentAccessor.getUserUtil();
SearchRequestManager searchRequestManager = ComponentAccessor.getComponent(SearchRequestManager.class);
ArrayList<SearchRequest> FilterList;
String CurFilter = "";
boolean HasGlobal;
String CurPerm;
for(ApplicationUser CurUser: (ArrayList<ApplicationUser>) userUtil.getAllApplicationUsers())
{
    FilterList = (ArrayList<SearchRequest>) searchRequestManager.getAllOwnedSearchRequests(CurUser);
    for (SearchRequest Search: FilterList)
    {
        CurFilter = Search.getName() + "#" + Search.getQuery() + "/" + Search.getOwnerUserName() + "#";

HasGlobal = false;

for (SharePermission Perm: Search.getPermissions().getPermissionSet())
        {
            CurPerm = Perm.getType().get();
            CurFilter += CurPerm + "/" + Perm.getParam1() + "/" + Perm.getParam2() + "#";

if (CurPerm == "global")
                HasGlobal = true;
        }

CurFilter += " \n"
        if (!Filters.contains(CurFilter))
            if (HasGlobal)
            {
                Filters.add(CurFilter);
            }
    }
}
String Result = "";
for (String Filter: Filters)
{
    Result += Filter + "\n@";
}
return Result
Thomas Bores February 21, 2016

Nice script to  get the filters but how to you set them on the second instance?

Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 22, 2016
0 votes
srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 18, 2016

Our main concern is filters and dashboards. Can you suggest a way to import them?

0 votes
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 18, 2016

You will probably face a lot more problems during the merge than you initially expected:

• Merging agile boards
  • JIRA Project Import breaks the issue history, so Agile reports will be broken after the merge
  • Filters that refer to object by id i.e. custom fields will be broken
  • Dashboard gadgets usually refer to filters, projects and other by id, so you'll also have broken dashboards
  • To be able to execute the JIRA Project Import you need to first transfer the configuration of all projects and it needs to match exactly the configuration on the source instance - otherwise the import will probably fail for 90% of the projects
  • If you have a lot of add-ons there is a big chance to end up with missing or broken add-on data (again because it might refer to objects by their ID which will change when you merge it into the new instance)
  • If you have integration with Confluence i.e. remote links to confluence pages - these will also be broken.
  • If you plan to merge Confluence instances at the same time you may need to also update confluence pages to point to the issues in the merged instance

This is an example of some of issues that you will face (there is more). We have a lot of experience doing such migrations and we can help. If you are interested I suggest we get on a call and discuss it in more details - just drop us a mail at support@botronsoft.com

Petra Maťková June 25, 2018

Hi Boris,

we're currently in the same situation as described above. I'd like to check if plugin 'Configuration Manager For JIRA' works for different versions of JIRA instances (source instance is 7.3. the target one 7.8.).

Thanks!

Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 25, 2018

Hi Petra,

Configuration manager supports export/import of JIRA configuration between instances running different versions of JIRA.

I suggest downloading the latest add-on version and giving it a try. 

If you face any issues or need more help contacts us through https://support.botronsoft.com

0 votes
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 18, 2016

Are you migrating just the filters and dashboards or you also plan to move the projects and issues that are used by these dashboards and filters ?

Sekhar Chandra July 17, 2019

Hi Boris,

I want to get items from one server to another server's dashboard.

How can this be possible? 

My project is represented by Epic story  which includes “Issues in Epic” on 'A' Server, and also linked to some items on 'B' server.

I’d like to track all the items by using a dashboard. I was able to include all items by using a filter 

Can I add to the same board items from B server?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events