Jira Data Visualization in Microsoft PowerBi - How to Find Average Time in Status

MAG-II August 26, 2020

Hello - 

I have been attempting to visualize my Jira data in Microsoft PowerBi. With access to the database I have been able to establish the appropriate relationships with the Jira tables and make decent graphs, charts, etc. in Microsoft PowerBi.

Specifically, I am trying to calculate the average time Issues remain in certain statuses within my project. I have done Jira database research on this and understand that time in status is not naturally stored in the database tables. I understand that this information can be calculated by creating relationships between the jiraissues, changeitem, and changegroup tables.

I have successfully established the relationships between the 3 tables. In PowerBi I have successfully created a visual table that shows every Issue in the project with the date it went from one status to the next status, and so on. All Issues are shown transitioning from status to status as well as the date for which the transitions happened.

What I am not understanding, via PowerBi, is how to perform the calculations (subtraction) between the dates for which the transitions happened. My thinking is that if I can begin to calculate the difference between each Issue transition dates then I can begin to figure out the average time Issues have been in statuses.

The whole situation is becoming complicated very quickly. If anyone has any experience with Microsoft PowerBi or visualizing Jira data in general I would really, really appreciate it.

2 answers

0 votes
Mariana_Pryshliak_Saasjet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 28, 2020

Hello @MAG-II 

As an alternative solution for visualization time data for each .issue, you can try Time in Status for Jira Cloud and its
Average time report. It shows the average time an issue has been spending in a particular status. For visualization select Chart view and you will be able to monitor data as pie, bar or area charts.average time.png

I hope, it helps

Best regards

0 votes
Navarambh Software - Gmail
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2020

Hi,

If you will be willing to try a third party add-on to get this information, please try our app - AIO Power BI Connector for Jira.

The app provides Time in Status values out of the box. 

It is the #1 selling Power BI connector for Jira on the marketplace and is used by thousands of organizations world wide, including several fortune 500 companies.

It is available for all the  three platforms Cloud/Server/Data Center.

Link to marketplace app page: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1219072/aio-power-bi-connector-for-jira

Documentation link: https://aioreports.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/APBCFJ/overview

For any questions or issues, please email us at support@aioreports.com or log a ticket at http://support.aioreports.com/

Regards

AIO Support

MAG-II August 28, 2020

Hello. Thanks for your response. Your add-on sounds very powerful, however, I am in no position to pay for 3rd party support at this point. I was hoping to find some means within the database tables in order to track on this information.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events