Jira Core for IT Operations and integration with ServiceNow

Emery Rudolph October 2, 2019

Hello,

I am a Director of an IT operations unit (not engineering) where my staff participate in many projects, but most of our work is operations based. Jira itself is more aligned with engineering work processes, but I need something that I can use to track the various work my team is involved in. Jira Core looked like a promising tool and I am exploring its value. My ultimate goal would be to integrate work flow and tasks with those in the Jira product being used by the engineering groups and also integrate Jira core tasks/projects with ServiceNow, which is the tool we use for tickets, incidents and requests. 

Is this type of integration possible with the Jira Core as it exists now?

2 answers

1 vote
francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 19, 2019

Hi  Emery,

ServiceNow is now launching the integration hub with a Jira Spoke simplifying the integration between the two systems, and this will be improved in the Orlando release. 

Another approach is to have a close look at Exalate. It supports a much wider set of use cases (such as bidirectional comment synchronization, state sync and so on).  Its distributed architecture allows separating out administration and configuration responsibility to the respective ServiceNow and Jira admin teams.  

(I'm obviously with the team  that  builds Exalate)

If you would like to have more information - please schedule a meeting here 

Francis

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 4, 2019

Hello Emery,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Indeed, JIRA Core can be used to track IT operations, giving you the ability to configure/customize the workflows as you need together with a board and gadget to have a macro view of the progress in your tasks.

To integrate both JIRA Core and ServiceNow:

1 - You can use REST API connections which requires a manual development like described in the guide below:

REST BASED SERVICENOW / JIRA INTEGRATION (POC) 

And also using Webhooks to configure direct communication:

Webhooks for JIRA Cloud 

How to integrate webhooks on ServiceNow 

2 - You can use third-party apps that provide you with a "ready to go" integration, like the one below:

Sync ServiceNow with Atlassian Apps 

Let me know if this information helps. If you still have any needed features that you are not sure if JIRA Core can provide, please let us know.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events