Issue Type Security for Subtasks

Hans-Joachim Fritz February 3, 2022

I've just recognized, that Subtasks do not have the same Issue Type Security Level as the parent Issue. 
In my case, I have issues of type task and a issue type security set to reporter and assignee, works perfectly. I have a huge number of tasks which i assign to other guys. Those guys can only see issues they are assigned to or they have reported. 

Today the idea crossed my mind, to make subtasks to a parent task during a meeting. Now these guys cannot see the subtasks, but if a issue of type task is assigned to them they can access these tasks. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sloan N_ B_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2022

Hi Hans-Joachim Fritz

One solution I can think of is to utilize Jira Automations to copy the Assignee and Reporter to the Subtasks as well as the issue security level.

The trigger might be the issue creation of all subtask issues in the relevant project(s) and the action edit using smart values with `{{.issue.parent}}`.

Look at this post by Atlassian: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-questions/How-do-I-copy-information-from-a-parent-issue-into-a-sub-task/qaq-p/1387663 

Cheers
Sloan Niklas B.

Hans-Joachim Fritz February 3, 2022

I didn't implement any of your suggestions, but your explanation made me understand the problem. I've made the Issue in Mattermost and changed it to a Subtask in Jira. What I simply had not in mind, was that the subtask did not inherit the assignee automatically, so the assignee was still me.
My colleague clicked on the Issue in Mattermost and got the error message which sent me in the totally wrong direction.

Thanks a lot, Niklas

Sloan N_ B_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2022

Happy to help! It's great my suggestion brought you to the cause and a solution. :) 

Suggest an answer