Is there a way to not show thumbnail images in Board view of a sprint?

Benard_Kong April 14, 2020

I prefer to just see the cards with their titles as any images take up too much space and don't allow me to scan quickly through the issues. If I know what the issue is regarding, I will click on the card and the ticket's details modal pops up. That's where images are most helpful to me.

The images are not helpful in anyway to help me grasp what the issue is right away as they're often screenshots of an error, meaning the text is very small. Other situations are screenshots of the application but completely out of context so it doesn't help me either.

Hence simply reading the titles are much more helpful to me.

I was not able to find an option in user settings to disable showing thumbnails in the Board view.

Edit: Added screenshot of what I see on my Board view. Images blurred and titles censored.

There are two tickets with pictures attached.

The one on the left is just a screenshot of the mobile app; easily visible but out of context; This ticket also has 3 picture attachments total, but that particular picture was selected. Again, I'd prefer pictures not be shown at all. Note that there are tickets underneath this ticket, which is what I meant when I say the images make the cards take up too much space so I can't scan the entire board as easily. Cards with no images on them would easily allow me to see my entire board without scrolling.

The one on the right is a screenshot of an error log; text small and out of context.

Screenshot from 2020-04-14 13-56-03-2.png

6 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 14, 2020

Hi Bernard - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Can you share a screenshot of what you are seeing? I don't see where the thumbnails are showing up in my board.

Hi John,

I've updated the OP with an example view of my Board.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 14, 2020

Ah, it's a Next-gen project. Click on the 3 dots on the top right hand side and select Hide cover images.  :-)

Like # people like this

Hi John,

I can't seem to find the option `Hide cover images`.

Here is what I have tried:

1. Click on 3 dots on top right hand of a CARD (ie. hover over the card in order to see the three dots; three dots is the top right of the card, on top of the cover image)

I am given the following options:

ACTIONS
* Add flag
* Add label
* Add parent
* Copy issue link
MOVE TO
* Top of column
* Bottom of column

2. Click on 3 dots on top right hand of a TICKET (ie. the main details page)

I am given the following options:

Add flag
--------
Add parent
Move
Clone
--------
Print
Export XML
Export Word
--------
NEW JIRA ISSUE VIEW
Open issues in sidebar

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 15, 2020

While you are still on the board - find the 3 dot menu;

Hide Image.png

It is in the top right next to the Star.

Then choose Hide cover images

Like # people like this
Benard_Kong April 15, 2020

Does the project owner need to change some settings for me to see that? Or do I need to set that before the sprint starts? I only see the number of days remaining for the sprint and the option to end the sprint.

Screenshot from 2020-04-15 09-15-53.png

I've also tried the following: 

* Use Firefox and Chrome

* Ensure no adblockers/popup blockers are installed

* Go to Backlog -> Edit Sprint

* Open dev tools to inspect whether there is a hidden element close to the star

None of those led to anything that suggests I can hide cover images.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 15, 2020

Yes, you will probably need to be a Project Administrator to be able to do that. 

Benard_Kong April 15, 2020

Great. I will speak to an Admin in that case.

Thank you for your help, John.

Like rachael.axtman likes this
7 votes
Rafael da Silva March 16, 2022

With admin access I see the 'Card cover image' after click on 3 dots upper right on the board page, then 'Configure board'

image.png

Scott Saccone March 25, 2023

Yes! Been looking for a solution for a while, thanks!

Like Szymon Tarawneh likes this
3 votes
Adrian Robert December 30, 2021

I'm not sure what project versions and settings the users above on this page have, but in my case the image itself inside the card had a three-dot menu with a "Hide on card" option. This did the job and I did not have to be an admin.

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 17.52.15.png

Sean Kubin April 29, 2022

This worked for me, although I noticed this popup did not show up where I expected it to. Instead, it appeared in the top-left most corner of the window. Turned out, it was a browser extension messing with it.

Martin Funcich October 27, 2022

@Sean Kubin It must be a fairly common extension, I am having the same issue with the popup menu.

For anyone else needing to access this option, be aware that the per-image three-dots menu is only available in Strip View and not in List View (so if you're in list view, you'll need to click the "..." next to the "+" first).

0 votes
Natalia Dorogina
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 15, 2024

I want to do exactly the opposite and customize task previews with covers. but I can't find any such items in the menu under the dots. maybe my project is not a Next-gen project. But I have no options to select it in new project creation.

0 votes
Polly Wann May 13, 2021

If you are an admin this shows you how to edit attachment settings including thumbnail https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/configuring-file-attachments-861253987.html 

0 votes
rachael.axtman April 5, 2021

Thank you for asking about this! Just had the same issue come up :) 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events