Is there a way to lock a field to a user or user group?

Jan Dan October 29, 2019

I would like the priority and severity field of my project to only be editable by myself or managers in my team. Is there a way to do this? Also is there a way to do this where it does not globally affect other projects?

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2019

In principle, no. Jira does not do field level security (because hiding bits of issues leads to confusion and doubt)

You can do the "only set by" thing though. Edit the workflow, creating transitions that are protected by "manager only" conditions that then go through screens that include the protected fields. Then remove those fields from the "edit" screen so they can only be changed via the (protected) transitions.

0 votes
Stephen Crandell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2019

You could set up issue security for your project and set a security level but, that would make an issue inaccessible for anyone not in the security level.

You could also look at script runner behaviors to lock down the fields to only you and the other managers.

Suggest an answer