Is it possible to connect Jira Core (Cloud) to Zapier?

David Johnson May 13, 2019

It seems as though Jira Core has a well-developed API, and Zapier offers some Jira connection options, but it seems to me that cloud-hosted Jira Core is not among them.

The option that seemed closest was to choose "Jira Software," which I tried before it became clear to me that "Jira Software" is a distinct product from "Jira Core."

Here are the steps I took attempting to connect Zapier:

1. Start a new Zap
  2. Add a trigger app ("Jira Software") and choose a trigger (I chose "Updated Issue" as that is most likely what I hope to trigger on), then hit "Continue"
  3. At the "Connect an Account" step, choose "I use Jira Software Cloud" then hit, "Yes, Continue"
    Screenshot from 2019-05-13 11-28-13.png
  4. At that point, I see the below error message:

You don’t have access to this app.

This application is in development - only the owner of this application may grant it access to their account.

Screenshot from 2019-05-13 11-28-29.png

Is it possible to get an invitation to this Zapier app? Or would an invitation ultimately not help, given that it appears that the Zapier integration is specifically developed for "Jira Software" as opposed to "Jira Core"?

Alternatively: would a self-hosted installation of Jira Core work, given that there's a separate Zapier integration for "Jira Software Server"? Or do I just need to use the "Jira Software" product instead of the "Jira Core" product in order to have the benefit of a Zapier integration?

Thank you!

3 answers

1 vote
Anmol Agrawal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 22, 2019

Hi @David Johnson 

I just replicated this as per your description and recording and it seems to be working fine now. It's possible that integration wasn't fully activated. Here is my recording - http://recordit.co/QNmi2LnpRF

Can you please try again and let me know if you are still facing issues?

Thanks.

PS - I have added the same comment in https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Cannot-connect-JIRA-Software-Cloud-to-Zapier/qaq-p/1084540

David Johnson May 23, 2019

Thank you, @Anmol Agrawal. The oAuth error message is indeed not appearing any more.

0 votes
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 23, 2019

Thanks for confirming this now works @Anmol Agrawal

Then, in order to provide a bit more context to the rest of the people here, apparently The Zapier integration went live before distribute access was given and that's why the authentication error.

Cheers,
Dario

0 votes
Dario B
Atlassian Team
May 22, 2019

Hi @David Johnson , 

I had a quick look at Zapier website and it looks to me that they only support connecting to:

• Jira Software Server
  • Jira Software Cloud
  • Jira Service Desk Cloud

Zapier-Supported-Jira-versions.jpg

Therefore, to answer your question, it looks like you need to have either Jira Software (Server or Cloud) or  Jira Service Desk Cloud in order to have the benefit of a Zapier integration.

For Jira Service Desk Cloud there is also the following documentation page available: 

Finally, in case of further questions on this topic, I would advise to get in touch with the vendor by using the resources listed in the marketplace page for Zapier, in the  support tab, under contact information:

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Dario

Steven Juanes May 22, 2019

Hi Dario,

I have JIRA Software Cloud (not service desk or Core) and have the exact same issue when attempting to connect.

Like David Johnson likes this
David Johnson May 22, 2019

Hi @Dario B, while I appreciate the effort involved in crafting your reply, I really need something that goes beyond, "I looked at Zapier's website" and "I looked at Atlassian's documentation."

I apologize if this was not clear from my post, but I had thoroughly exhausted those options (as well as any discoverable related topics here in the Community) before posting.

Additionally, I am a developer of Zapier apps and a Zapier Certified Expert, and I can tell you that the message displayed when trying to connect Jira and Zapier together (quoted and shown in the screenshot in my question above) is coming from Atlassian/Jira and not from Zapier. Reaching out to Zapier would be unfruitful.

Not to be terse or rude, but this question must be answered by someone from Atlassian who is familiar with the Zapier App that has been developed by Atlassian.

Again, thank you for your efforts, but if you can help put this issue in front of someone in the right department at Atlassian, that would be helpful.

@Steven Juanes: thanks for confirming my suspicion about JIRA Software Cloud. It's helpful to have additional info. Hopefully this will get the attention of someone from Atlassian who can help.

Steven Juanes May 22, 2019

No worries!  I have an internal support inquiry from my colleagues as well who are experiencing the same issue.

Also seems another member of the community facing the same hardship: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Cannot-connect-JIRA-Software-Cloud-to-Zapier/qaq-p/1084540

Like David Johnson likes this
David Johnson May 22, 2019

Thanks for drawing my attention to the other thread, @Steven Juanes ! I'm watching it for any responses.

If you happen to here anything back from your support inquiry, do you think you could share the outcome here? Thanks!

Dario B
Atlassian Team
May 22, 2019

@Steven Juanes 

Edited:

Thanks for pointing to the other thread.

After watching the video I believe this is something that should be brought to Zapier support attention. Indeed, I can see that they are currently in touch with our internal teams since they are developing a new version of the integration using Oauth2, and this can be what is causing the issue here.

@David Johnson 

Kindly notice that the Zapier integration application is developed and supported by Zapier and not by Atlassian, as you can read in the marketplace page for the add-on:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1215103/zapier-integration-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=support

Therefore, as mentioned in my previous comment, please reach to them for support if you need to get in touch with someone that developed the integration. 

David Johnson May 23, 2019

Thanks again, @Dario B. I do appreciate it. 

Kindly notice that the Zapier integration application is developed and supported by Zapier and not by Atlassian, as you can read in the marketplace page for the add-on:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1215103/zapier-integration-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=support

While I had viewed that page, I wasn't aware that the "Support" tab was the place to look in order to discover who built the integration. When I read, "Zapier supports this app," I interpreted "this app" to mean "Zapier" not the integration app.

This was my mistake, but it was an honest one. I misinterpreted what I read. I apologize if I came across as rude in my previous reply to you. Thank you for helping me understand how to interpret the content of Marketplace Apps pages correctly.

Therefore, as mentioned in my previous comment, please reach to them for support if you need to get in touch with someone that developed the integration. 

Despite the fact that Zapier is the developer of the integration, based upon the below comment from this issue, someone from Atlassian needed to resolve the underlying oAuth issue:

I spoke to Zapier too and they said that they're pursuing to apply for "public" status for their OAuth app but this is yet to come through from Atlassian.

Now that that issue has been resolved, I've been able to test sufficiently to answer the question I was originally asking. Thanks again for your help.

Suggest an answer