Is JIRA Attachment Versioning not longer available?

Dieter Guthmann September 30, 2016

We've updated our JIRA-Instance from JIRA 6.4.11 to 7.1.9 recently.

In JIRA 6 Issue Attachments of the same name where displayed as different 'Versions' of the same file.
Now those attachments are shown as separate attachments, not as multiple Versions of the same file...

Was that feature removed in JIRA 7? 

1 answer

0 votes
Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2016

Nope, it works exactly the same from JIRA 6.2.1 and in JIRA 7.1.9, i just verified it by creating a file like this:

date > Desktop/file1.txt
#uploaded the file
date > Desktop/file1.txt
#uploaded the new file to the same issue

In the issue i now see 2 files with the same filename but different timestamps in them, so that should work as it always did. The layout has changes some (initially the files were added with filenames in a list, while the newer JIRA shows 2 icons) but it's still storing the files with the same name as 2 different "versions" of the same file.

Dieter Guthmann September 30, 2016

It is still possible to attach multiple files with the same filename to one issue... but in JIRA6 the newest one is displayed  highlited, the other one where geyed out, so it was easy to recognize that multiple revisions exist, and also easy to identify the latest Version of these files.

Now I see multiple files, and I have to check the filenames for duplicates by myself. If there are duplicates I have to wait for the "OnMouseOver", displaying the excact timestamp.

Max Muster June 27, 2019

How should the Atlassian Team be able to sell this feature to you if you already own it? Using a Patch to get rid of the function and then selling it as "Smart Attachment" in the Atlassian Marketplace.

Chapeau for that

Thats a absolute normal practice in an absolute abnormal world.

Suggest an answer