In the new Jira view, how is it determined what fields are primary and secondary?

Taryn Madey May 6, 2019

I need to change the primary and secondary fields in the new Jira view. You can't drag them from one category to the other on the configure field layout page. I can hide some or reorder within categories that's it. I need to change some from secondary to primary and vice versa. Can't find how to do this anywhere. 

2 answers

0 votes
Taryn Madey May 6, 2019

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracorecloud/configure-field-layout-in-the-issue-view-961798123.html

Under field categories in above link. 

In the new Jira view, go to configure on an issue (top right corner). Takes you to your issue layout screen that has multiple sections with fields. Those sections are Description Area, Primary fields and Secondary fields. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2019

Yay, another blurring of descriptions of something that used to make sense from Atlassian!

There are some fields you cannot move between primary and secondary (mostly primary fields often called "system" fields - ones that are part of Jira off-the-shelf and too important to be dropped to secondary). 

Taryn Madey May 6, 2019

It placed my fields very strangely. The description and primary aren't all even system fields... they are some random custom ones we created that used to be on a separate tab our old issue view. Some I really care about are under "more" at the bottom. It's really hard to use right now. 

Like Mark Armantrout likes this
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2019

What do you mean by "primary" and "secondary"?

Suggest an answer