Identify the required fields on issue creation

Pedro Felgueiras
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2022

I'm creating a dynamic process that needs to know the required fields on creation from a specific project and issue type. 

In my understanding, they could be defined in 3 places:

• Field Config 
  • Workflow initial screen 
  • Script runner behaviors 

I'm willing to let go the behaviors ones since it could be a bit more complex.

After some time researching, I don't get too much luck. The nears thing that I found is the QuickCreateIssue endpoint that returns a json that identify if a field is required. But even that, I don't know how to request it. 

Could anyone provide some help on archiving this? 

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2022

Not quite.  Your list should be:

Field Config

Workflow validator on the create transition

SR Behaviours

But there are problems with them - the REST API won't tell you about the validators or the Behaviours.  The only way to work those out would be to read the workflow and parse it for the use of a validator (which could be hard as there are many validators out there, even Scripted ones meaning that you'd have to read the scripts behind them too), and read all the Behaviours set up in SR to work out if they make fields mandatory.  On the bright side, most people don't use validators to make fields mandatory on create, because field configs do it.

The field config is a bit of a faff to get your head around, you have to read the project and issue type to find the field config in use, then you can ask that what fields are mandatory, but it is plain and simple to do.

This is the sort of question that makes me ask "Why?".  What are you trying to achieve here?

Suggest an answer