I’m very new to jira. How do I add a checklist to a jira tickets along w/ indicating the status?

Kevin miller July 8, 2019
I need to add a checklist to a jira ticket and see the current status of each item on the checklist. How do I configure Jira to add this functionality?

2 answers

1 vote
Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2019

I work for Elements, which makes a Checklist app.

If you want to see some examples of a checklist app in action, this blog post about Elements Checklist could be helpful: https://blog.valiantys.com/en/apps/four-ways-to-boost-productivity-with-smart-checklists-in-jira-issues/

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2019

Jira doesn't have a checklist out of the box. You could set up 'Sub Tasks' to do this. I'd recommend keeping the workflow/fields for a sub-task dead simple so it operates like a checklist.

Alternatively you could also buy a Checklist 'app' from the marketplace.

Kevin miller July 8, 2019

Steven:
I don't mean to be difficult. May I get more specifics on Sub Tasks? Is there a knowledge base article? To be honest, I"m applying for a job that uses JIRA. I'm in a stage where they have us research many questions where just one is about JIRA. I have no way to use the software to learn how to do it hands on. If you could be so kind as to give as much info as possible I would be very grateful! This would be a great help to me and the family.  Thank you Steven

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2019

Okay, well, I can give you pointers but I probably won't just spell the answer out for you. Foremost it's quite important, is this referring to Jira Cloud or the Jira Server/Data Center on-premise package? They are quite different so it's important to be specific. 

Documentation: 

Regardless, in both cases there is the concept of 'Screens' and 'Workflows' though they're quite different now between Cloud and Server/Data Center.

• In both cases you'll want to keep them quite simple. Ideally you can have a Sub-Task 'Screen' or set of fields that are like "Summary, Description" and nothing else.
  • Additionally, you'd want to keep the workflow simple since it doesn't really need to do much. Just having a 'Open' -> 'Closed' workflow should be sufficient. 

Suggest an answer