I don't get JQL's ~ results

Gustavo Matias March 30, 2019

Given two tickets with summary:

1. "Flaky spec: spec/features/portfolio/deals/deal_profile/complete_deal_spec.rb"
  2. "Flaky spec: spec/features/portfolio/proposal/proposal_details_spec.rb"

Why does the following JQL returns the ticket: 

1. summary ~ "Flaky spec: spec/features/portfolio/deals/deal_profile/complete_deal_spec.rb"

And this one doesn't?

1. summary ~ "Flaky spec: spec/features/portfolio/proposal/proposal_details_spec.rb"

1 answer

1 vote
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2019

Hi @Gustavo Matias ,

May I know what you searched for originally?

The only time JIRA should miss a result if your search request is correct is if there is something wrong with the indexing.

Since you are on JIRA Cloud from what I see from your other ticket you raised, you may need to wait for the index to be rebuilt. However to be able to say more, I would need to see the actual JQL you are running.

Gustavo Matias March 31, 2019

@Ismael Jimoh  wow long does it take for the re-index to happen? the ticket has been created for a few days now.

Below are the queries.

This works:

https://viewthespace.atlassian.net/issues/?jql=summary%20~%20%22Flaky%20spec%3A%20spec%2Ffeatures%2Fportfolio%2Fdeals%2Fdeal_profile%2Fcomplete_deal_spec.rb%22

JQL:

summary ~ "Flaky spec: spec/features/portfolio/deals/deal_profile/complete_deal_spec.rb"

This doesn't:

https://viewthespace.atlassian.net/issues/?jql=summary%20~%20%22Flaky%20spec%3A%20spec%2Ffeatures%2Fportfolio%2Fproposal%2Fproposal_details_spec.rb%22

JQL:

summary ~ "Flaky spec: spec/features/portfolio/proposal/proposal_details_spec.rb"

Any ideas? 

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2019

Hi @Gustavo Matias ,

This I am unsure of but I would suggest raising a ticket with the Atlassian Cloud team here.

They would be in a better position to assist you with the issue with indexing and also due to their access to the server they would be able to diagnose the issue better.

I personally do not see any problem here but would ask that you run the following query to see how many results are returned:

summary ~ "Flaky spec"

I would expect this to return both so if it does not then there is a potential problem here.

Another thing to confirm with you is can you see the ticket with the "Flaky spec: spec/features/portfolio/proposal/proposal_details_spec.rb"?

I would like to remove the potential of the problem being down to a permission or issue security problem as these could impact your search result.

Thanks.

Gustavo Matias March 31, 2019

@Ismael Jimoh that simpler JQL does return both tickets. I also have no problem seeing the ticket itself, I created it about 4 days ago.

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 31, 2019

@Gustavo Matias 

That's odd and great to see you can find the ticket. Seeing as this is the case then I am not sure if this is an indexing problem in itself since you can find the ticket via a search.

I wonder if it could be the query when parsed to URL is failing (hypothesis with no justification).

Due to this, I would suggest raising a ticket with the Atlassian support and others in the community are welcome to help and chip in here.

As for now, I will suggest using the other query I suggested when looking for the issue till they are able to assist you with the issue.

Cheers.

Like Gustavo Matias likes this
Gustavo Matias April 2, 2019

Thanks! I opened a ticket with support. I may report back once we get to a resolution.

Gustavo Matias April 2, 2019

Got the answer from support, which helped! basically I was missing \" around the string for exact match.

You're concerned with the fact that some issues you would expect to be returned when you run JQL filters are not being presented, correct?

As an example, you have mentioned that you have two different issues with the following summaries:

• Flaky spec: spec/features/portfolio/deals/deal_profile/complete_deal_spec.rb
  • Flaky spec: spec/features/portfolio/proposal/proposal_details_spec.rb

However, while running the search summary ~ "Flaky spec: spec/features/portfolio/deals/deal_profile/complete_deal_spec.rb"returns the issue you expect, running summary ~ "Flaky spec: spec/features/portfolio/proposal/proposal_details_spec.rb" does not.

Providing you some context about this, when you run searches Jira uses tokens to search words in text. When you define the search as represented above, you are not searching for that particular string as a whole, but instead you're searching for the words contained there.

By running summary ~ "\"Flaky spec: spec/features/portfolio/proposal/proposal_details_spec.rb\"", you will be searching for this whole string as a single thing, thus returning the desired issue (check below):

• Notice that, in this approach, we have added an additional pair of double quotes, escaped by the '\' character.

Could you please confirm if by running this search you're able to get the desired results? Please let us know if you need any further assistance or if you have any other questions.

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 3, 2019

Thanks for sharing this @Gustavo Matias .

Do have a nice day.

Suggest an answer