How would you suggest I create a prep-for-delivery checklist form in the Atlassian suite?

Geoff Wilson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2016

Environment: JIRA v7, Confluence, Bitbucket, Crucible

NEEDS TO RECREATE: On a self hosted legacy site, we have a checklist form of software Compliancy questions that need to be filled out by our developers before every delivery. The current legacy questionnaire form has Pass/Fail options for each Compliancy checklist item as well as spaces for related comments. The form's results are linked to each individual software name + delivery version (we have JIRA Issues for tracking each software delivery in the new system) and kept for historical purposes. 

SO, have any of you created anything like this before or even if not, how would you suggest to do it in these Atlassian tools?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2016

Hi Geoff,

Looks like you want to have a predictable and repeatable process of release and delivery. Before I answer a few questions which will help me understand better your use case.

• Is this checklist just one at the end or there are other checklist like control points during the software release life-cycle?
  • Besides checklists do you track approvals as well?
  • Are there any metrics that can support the release go/no go decision?

Overall I am an expert in Release and compliance processes and have experience managing such in JIRA.

Cheers,

Peter T

Geoff Wilson
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 1, 2016

This legacy requirement may actually be deprecated, but I'll still answer in case there are similar future requirements:

• Just once before every product delivery, a developer was required to go through this off-site form and check that they had met or not met a compliancy requirement, say like not using hardcoded URLs in the code. 
  • These checklist items never or rarely changed. 
  • As such, if the dev delivers something tmrw and again next month, they'll have to go through the exact same form and answer the exact same questions to prove that they've checked over their code
  • The same process is similar to security tests that are run over and over again with each delivery
  • There really aren't approvals.  The status was either completed or not completed based on whether or not they provided a result from every checklist item.
  • If there were violations, at some point somebody probably did look over them and get the devs to fix it .... or maybe it was added to a future delivery  (like I said, this is getting deprecated). 

We have the Xray plugin that we will start configuring soon for test cases, and likely this is how any future checklists like this will be run as test sets will be run in regression with each delivery.  I'm not sure how Xray helps with that if that keeps track of status too ... we will see.  So really my question now is what is the best process to repeat some procedure on JIRA that documents past procedure results and doesn't require cloning to create the next set to repeat?

Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 1, 2016

OK, so here what I think will work for you. Besides the ability to have repeatable checklist process it will give you other release management benefits.

I suggest you use our Program and Release Management tool - Cycle Control, you can create a release for each of yours product deliveries and create a check-list for a given date prior to the official release date. For the checklist you can create multiple check-list tasks which one of it with its own owner.

If not all checklist tasks are completed at the due-date, the tool will change the status of the delivery to red. You can also define metrics for the delivery as well as create reports and notifications. Publish the status on Confluence and a lot more features which are very useful if you like to the repeatable process.

If this sounds interesting I will be happy to continue the discussion on online meeting. Please drop us an email at support@botronsoft.com

Cheers,

Peter T

0 votes
Olga Rusnak
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 16, 2018

Hi Geoff,

You can try using Smart Checklist Jira plugin:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/rw-smart-checklist-biz/cloud/overview

It provides you with exactly what you were looking for:

• Create checklists within the issue and let developers tick off the tasks once they are completed. I would also like to mention an ability to save checklists as templates and used them for other tickets within the project.
  • Changing an item's status (within the checklist) from ToDo to In Progress, or Done.
  • View the issue progress from the Agile board, as for example 12/30, where 30 - the total number of items on the list, and 12 - the completed one's.
  • You can also use the editor which support Markdown formatting syntax (which is good for creation of big lists with headlines and groups) 
  • and more!

If you have any additional questions about the plugin, please let me know!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events