How to use boards as a projects (each board is a different project)

Georgina Gonzalez March 5, 2019

We use JIRA projects as products because the defects from the same product can be moved from one project to another. So far, we have been using Sprints to define the projects, but we are looking for a better way to organize our projects. I am looking for best practices and ideas about how to implement the following:

• Jira projects are our products.
  • Inside each product, we will have different boards to define each Project.
  • Inside each board, we will have the normal sprints for each project. But, my main concern is how to configure the board correctly so we only see the tickets for that specific project. I am thinking of using EPIC and adding the EPIC to all the tickets or a custom field with the project name. So I can use the query in the board settings. 

Any feedback or recommendation is welcome.

Thank you

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kevin Bui
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 5, 2019

But, my main concern is how to configure the board correctly so we only see the tickets for that specific project. I am thinking of using EPIC and adding the EPIC to all the tickets or a custom field with the project name. 

Hi @Georgina Gonzalez - I think what you've described is fine. However, because issues can only belong to one epic, this may cause a problem if you want to use epics the way they were intended (as a way to group issues across multiple sprints).

So instead of using epics to define each project, you could consider instead using labels or components. This frees you up to use epics for their traditional use, if you want to. You can then use JQL to make the board only show which label/component you want to see.

Hope that helps! Perhaps someone who has more experience with managing multiple products in one project will chime in.

Suggest an answer