How to make stroy and the related tasks to share same estimated time?

Cihangir August 4, 2019

I wonder how I can let story and the related tasks to share same estimated time. Let's start with a basic example.

Story: User should be able to add new topic. (Estimation 2h)

Related Tasks:

1. Implement create topic operation at backend. (Estimation 1h)
  2. Implement create topic page at frontend. (Estimation 1h)

I created the story and selected related when creating the tasks.

But, if I am not wrong, they are reported as total 4h in the graphs which is wrong. How can I make them to be reported as 2h? or should I use another type of relation such as duplicate etc?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 5, 2019

Hello Cihangir,

Just to confirm we are in the same page here, I understand that you are trying to use a story linked to a task (Not sub-task) to estimate your work, however, logging two hours on each of them displays the sum of 4 hours in JIRA reports. Have I understood it properly?

Indeed, the link functionality between issues does not create any kind of dependencies between them and also don't share their field values. It is only used to inform there are related issues and to allow you to easily access them directly in the issue view.

That being said, JIRA reports for estimation usually display a sum of all the estimated hours in all the issues of your board, so the behavior you are seeing might be the correct one in that case. If this is not what you are needing, I would recommend you to estimate only one of the related issues or split their estimation (2 hours) between both issues.

In order to ensure you are facing the scenario mentioned above, can you provide us a screenshot of the report you are using together with a screenshot of the estimation logged for both related issues? Please, make sure you have hidden all the confidential information of your instance before posting the screenshot.

Cihangir August 5, 2019

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your quick and clear answer.

Just to confirm we are in the same page here, I understand that you are trying to use a story linked to a task (Not sub-task) to estimate your work, however, logging two hours on each of them displays the sum of 4 hours in JIRA reports. Have I understood it properly? Yes, exactly

That being said, JIRA reports for estimation usually display a sum of all the estimated hours in all the issues of your board, so the behavior you are seeing might be the correct one in that case. If this is not what you are needing, I would recommend you to estimate only one of the related issues or split their estimation (2 hours) between both issues. I am going to continue with that approach.

In order to ensure you are facing the scenario mentioned above, can you provide us a screenshot of the report you are using together with a screenshot of the estimation logged for both related issues? Please, make sure you have hidden all the confidential information of your instance before posting the screenshot. No need to loose time. You clearly explain the actual feature and how to use it.

Have a nice day

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 6, 2019

You are welcome, Cihangir.

Have a nice day you too and please don't hesitate to contact us again every time you need.

Suggest an answer