How to keep the ticket number when bulk move issues into their new project

Shawn April 23, 2020

Hi,

We want to upgrade our JIRA core to JIRA software. We need to move the issues in JIRA core project to JIRA software project. I searched solution in following URL. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/convert-project-to-a-different-template-or-type-966673096.html

However, when moving the issue to new projects, ticket numbers were always changed. See the picture. How can I keep the ticket number?

Before moving:

original ticket number.png

After moving:

changed ticket number.png

2 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2020

Hi Shawn,

I am not sure how you can do that. You can try to follow what Kristjan suggests. You would need to export the full issue, and then import it into the new project using the guidance in the above post. 

But the problem is that the new project MUST have a different code for it - you can't reuse ones. So if your current project is ABC and all of the issues are ABC-1, ABC-2, etc. Then the new project cannot use ABC - it must be something different. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2020

I guess you could do the export, then change ABC to ABC2 or something like that - which will convert all of your existing issues. Then create the new software project as ABC. Then import the original ones you exported with ABC. Then you would just delete all of the ABC2 issues. 

I would try that with a handful of test issues you create in a new test project first, including adding some links to other cards to make sure you don't lose the links. 

0 votes
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 23, 2020
Scott Ross July 17, 2020

I don't see any answers in the above link. Is there a different link with this approach, which seems to provide a working solution as referenced below?

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 17, 2020

Sorry @Scott Ross  I don't have any other input apart what @John Funk mentions below. That was my thought. The link above just gives the general how to.

HTH,
KGM

Scott Ross July 17, 2020

Thanks @Kristján Geir Mathiesen - my problem was when I clicked on that link earlier this morning, it only showed the question and "0 answers" so the general how to wasn't displayed.  Strangely, I just clicked the link again and now see the answers and the how-to.  So you can now ignore my initial reply! 

Suggest an answer