How to change password user by command line?

A Khớch May 8, 2019

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 9, 2019

Hi,

The guide you cited is specifically for recovering the admin password of Crowd.  I am confused here, because your question also has tags for Jira Core and Confluence Cloud.  I can tell you for sure, that Confluence Cloud can't use Crowd. Crowd is a server/data center only product.

The guide you linked to is correct, but only if you're using Crowd.  If you're not using Crowd, and only using Jira Server, I would instead recommend trying to follow Retrieving the JIRA Administrator.  If Jira is connected to another external directory, like Crowd, another Jira Server, or some other SSO service, it's possible you might not be able to reset the password by making changes directly to the Jira database.   This guide notes this near the top:

Using Single Sign-On (SSO):

• If JIRA is configured for SSO through Crowd or another third-party service, only users from Crowd or the other service will be able to log in to JIRA.
  • In order to log in as a user from the JIRA Internal Directory, roll back the changes made within Integrating Crowd with Atlassian JIRA or as made by the third-party authenticator.

But if you're not using SSO, or you have already reverted this, then in Jira I would recommend running the following update to change a Jira Internal user account's password to 'sphere' no quotes:

update cwd_user set credential='uQieO/1CGMUIXXftw3ynrsaYLShI+GTcPS4LdUGWbIusFvHPfUzD7CZvms6yMMvA8I7FViHVEqr6Mj4pCLKAFQ==' where user_name='example';

Note: This won't work for user accounts that use an external directory for authentication, like LDAP or AD.  This work-around only works for user accounts in the internal user directory of Jira.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events