How to bulk change 'commenter' to another user in the case of duplicate JIRA users

Morgan Thunder October 14, 2015

I am trying to tidy up a situation where a user has 2 JIRA accounts. I've been able to bulk transfer the reporter, assignee fields from the user I want to delete over to the user I want to keep, but JIRA won't allow me to delete the unused account because they still have various comments added to various issues (all closed).

I know there are couple of ways to list all of the issues the now redundant user has commented on, but how can I migrate those comments to a new user?  Bulk editing doesn't allow for it.

A 'merge accounts' function would be fantastic, but seems not to exist. Ideally I need to make all of the comments made by one user appear to have been made by another (as they are in fact the same person). If it's impossible, I suppose my question is, at worst, how can I delete the user, preferrably without deleting their comments, but if necessary, is it even possible to bulk delete comments by a particular user?

3 answers

0 votes
Juergen Lanner May 5, 2017

Hi Morgan,

unfortunately there are no answers listed to your question. Did you find a way to deal with the problem? I have the same problem at hand and would very much apprechiate to learn of your experience here.

Thanks

juergen

0 votes

You can view JIRA Comment Toolbox to  change commenter of the comments and go on like this way.

Moreover, you can use JIRA Comment Toolbox for these;

• Custom Comment Fields,
  • Custom JQL function
  • Delete issue comment
  • Delete user all comment
  • Update author of the comments.
0 votes
Henrique Freitas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2015

Hi Morgan,

Unfortunately it is not possible to bulk transfer the comments.

What you can do is open a support ticket with Atlassian requesting to transfer or delete those comments. Please notice that it envolves database changes.

When you open the ticket please provide a day and time to stop your instance.

Cheers,

Henrique Freitas

Suggest an answer